Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Good call, for you. I wanted less because I live in a city. I have to park in tight spots and turn on a dime. Tiguan S is a beast. Tell me how that Japanese transmission compares to the German one!
I wish there was a Tiguan AWD with DSG. That would be amazing. I really enjoy the DSG in my Alltrack.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's the exact same car except a foot longer, more standard features, bigger engine, better speakers, a third row of seats, etc. It was like $3000 more for me or I would have done that myself. The Taos S is "fine" but the Tiguan S is good.

All I can do is console myself about how in a few years all that automatic sensor crap will break. ;)

I only have to worry about oil leaks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It's the exact same car except a foot longer, more standard features, bigger engine, better speakers, a third row of seats, etc. It was like $3000 more for me or I would have done that myself. The Taos S is "fine" but the Tiguan S is good.

All I can do is console myself about how in a few years all that automatic sensor crap will break. ;)

I only have to worry about oil leaks.
Yep.
My soon-to-be Tiguan S is AWD so no 3rd row. No IQ either.
I'm reading that some people think the Tiguan is sluggish or at least held back by the VW programming.

I really do not like the Taos interior/dash look as much. It's not terrible but looks weird to me. That line/ledge that continues from the doors across the dash.
Maybe more modern than I can handle. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
How is the reliability as of now?
How are you all liking the vehicle?

Looking at a fresh off the truck '22 Taos S.

Doing research has given me second thoughts.
A lot of "don't buy one", "recalls/at the dealership 3-4 times", "car at dealership for months", "modern VWs are unreliable, get a mazda", "small engine and slow" etc....
How true are these opinions?

I know they have fixed some things with recalls and updates.
I know you can change the throttle response with ODB.
I know the Taos S is fairly stripped down overall (currently have a '17 Alltrack S 46k miles)

I did look at a CX-5 and loved it. Top notch interior. bullet proof engine/trans........but way way way too cramped/small.

I'm now debating between the '22 Taos S and Tiguan S......which has it's own set of pros/cons.

Thanks.
I hope I can post it here. I like my 2022 Taos SEL (RED) with all possible options but I need to sell it because I need bigger SUV. Only 4,500 miles on it. No issues whatsoever.
My payoff is $36K. Anyone interested?

·
Registered
2022 Taos SE - FWD
11 Posts
Drove the Taos and Tiguan today. Very short tests.

The Taos is nice. Only noticed the lag off start the first time I hit the gas. Otherwise zippy and handles well. Very similar to my Alltrack. The cheaper S trim didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Overall, felt great. The cargo is good enough for most day to day routine type stuff.
Plenty of driver and passenger space.

The Tiguan was nice too. The trim reminded me more of my Alltrack. A bit more premium at lower trim level. Did not feel very zippy. Not underpowered at all but felt very smooth and softer overall. Similar space overall. Huge cargo.....only would be handy on holidays and trips.

Pretty sure I'm going to get the Taos S. Due to large interior, great MPG, and more modern look.
My Taos is finally being bought back from VW, but as someone else mentioned, I had a very early model. (Bought August 2021)

At the time of my test drive, I tried the Tiguan and found it to be too big for me. I thought it was a very nice ride though. My Taos was a 2022 SEL with front wheel drive. Aside from the manufacture issues, the only thing I didn't like was the hatchback not being automatic. Aside from that, it may be a future consideration once they add the auto hatch.

Good Luck
Barb

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Taos is finally being bought back from VW, but as someone else mentioned, I had a very early model. (Bought August 2021)

At the time of my test drive, I tried the Tiguan and found it to be too big for me. I thought it was a very nice ride though. My Taos was a 2022 SEL with front wheel drive. Aside from the manufacture issues, the only thing I didn't like was the hatchback not being automatic. Aside from that, it may be a future consideration once they add the auto hatch.

Good Luck
Barb
I'm happy to hear you are getting a buy back. My Taos SEL was bought in June of 2021, and since I work from home now, it only had about 2,200 miles on it. I just recently traded it for a '21 VW Passat R-Line. I do not miss the Taos at all. I never thought I would say this about a VW (I'm on #14 with the Passat), but I'm so glad to be rid of my Taos. That thing was a death trap waiting to happen. Already loving the Passat way more than the Taos. No pesky auto start/stop. Not sure about other cars, but that "feature" on the Taos needs to go. And if it's the same in other VWs that have it....it needs to go! Just my experience with it. In all my years of driving (and riding in) any car...until the Taos, I've never been in one that just shut down while driving.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm happy to hear you are getting a buy back. My Taos SEL was bought in June of 2021, and since I work from home now, it only had about 2,200 miles on it. I just recently traded it for a '21 VW Passat R-Line. I do not miss the Taos at all. I never thought I would say this about a VW (I'm on #14 with the Passat), but I'm so glad to be rid of my Taos. That thing was a death trap waiting to happen. Already loving the Passat way more than the Taos. No pesky auto start/stop. Not sure about other cars, but that "feature" on the Taos needs to go. And if it's the same in other VWs that have it....it needs to go! Just my experience with it. In all my years of driving (and riding in) any car...until the Taos, I've never been in one that just shut down while driving.
It’s not on the Passat because that model ison the way out. Sadly all new cars must have the dangerous auto stop/ start.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but the B2BFAB stop/start harness works great.
I'm almost tempted to add a second layer of protection and do the battery voltage thing too since I don't really trust software too much, being a software engineer myself. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
It’s not on the Passat because that model ison the way out. Sadly all new cars must have the dangerous auto stop/ start.
Yeah, I never saw myself buying a car that's on the way out, but if means no auto start/stop then I'm fine that! It was a VW of America Corporate car from Chattanooga, so I suspect it has been well maintained. I sort of miss the digital cockpit, but the Passat does all I really need when it comes to that. The only "bad" thing I can say about the Passat is the build quality isn't typical of VW. No major complaints, but I can tell the difference between Euro and Mexican built VWs. Other than that, I'm loving the Passat. I looked at a VW Jetta GLI Autobahn as well...but, you guessed it! It had auto start/stop. Even though auto s/s can be disabled, the ONE time I forgot to disable it, well, death trap or injuries. My experience with auto s/s is that I wouldn't even put my dogs in a car with it. But, I hope everyone has a better experience with their Taos and enjoys owning and driving them.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i was going to get the Passat too as my dealer had a beautiful leftover in the showroom. Was about to go back and buy it but it sold that morning.
I love the Jetta SEL Premium I got instead. Still plenty of room, comfort and surprisingly peppy considering the engine.
P.S. "Corrado G60"...sigh! If only I had one! That car was (and still is) a hot car! And sign me up for an MK1 Sirocco as well!
Was my first car. Loved it but when I sold it they gave me a VR6 Corrado as a loaner til my new car showed up. The VR6 blew the G60 away. Too bad VW killed it rather than adding the safety features needed to keep it going

·
Registered
503 Posts
Was my first car. Loved it but when I sold it they gave me a VR6 Corrado as a loaner til my new car showed up. The VR6 blew the G60 away. Too bad VW killed it rather than adding the safety features needed to keep it going
I had my '90 G60 for almost 20 years (as a second car for much of it). I spent a large proportion of that time planning to rebuild the G-lader before it grenaded, but never got around to it.
Ended up selling it to an old VW parts guy who pestered me about buying it for years.
Great car, but it was becoming harder and harder to keep up with repairs.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If I listened to all the negatives posted about the 2002 Passat I bought I would have missed out on one of my favorite cars ever
And I bought into the “4 door sportscar” hype of the Nissan Maxima and ended up with a floaty car that was dangerous in any type of cornering. My only shameful departure from owning German cars.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts