Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Drove the Taos and Tiguan today. Very short tests.

The Taos is nice. Only noticed the lag off start the first time I hit the gas. Otherwise zippy and handles well. Very similar to my Alltrack. The cheaper S trim didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Overall, felt great. The cargo is good enough for most day to day routine type stuff.
Plenty of driver and passenger space.

The Tiguan was nice too. The trim reminded me more of my Alltrack. A bit more premium at lower trim level. Did not feel very zippy. Not underpowered at all but felt very smooth and softer overall. Similar space overall. Huge cargo.....only would be handy on holidays and trips.

Pretty sure I'm going to get the Taos S. Due to large interior, great MPG, and more modern look.
The lag is generally gone in Sport or Eco mode. The S trim with the 'Piano Black' might actually be more appealing for some than the blue of the SE trim or the brown 'French Roast' coloured SEL trim plus the S trim 3d look is a nice touch. That the "zippy-ness" surprises some people is often due to looking at just HP instead of the torque as well.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Drove the Taos and Tiguan today. Very short tests.

The Taos is nice. Only noticed the lag off start the first time I hit the gas. Otherwise zippy and handles well. Very similar to my Alltrack. The cheaper S trim didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Overall, felt great. The cargo is good enough for most day to day routine type stuff.
Plenty of driver and passenger space.

The Tiguan was nice too. The trim reminded me more of my Alltrack. A bit more premium at lower trim level. Did not feel very zippy. Not underpowered at all but felt very smooth and softer overall. Similar space overall. Huge cargo.....only would be handy on holidays and trips.

Pretty sure I'm going to get the Taos S. Due to large interior, great MPG, and more modern look.
The Tiguan feels more powerful/forcefull but not zippy, though if you throw it into S it pulls off the line well.

We have a Tiguan SE, after previously having the SEL. The SE is still very nice.

My Jetta SEL Premium feels like a step up, my brother was shocked it only cost me $29k. There are some hard plastic bits like the Taos, but they don’t bother me. Wish the Taos had an SEL Premium trim.

·
Registered
2022 Taos SE FWD Platinum Gray
302 Posts
Our 22 Taos SE FWD has been decent, I doubt I would buy one again, just not an exciting car. I think a Kia Seltos would be more of what I would want if I were to do this again. The Taos does everything ok, but not great IMO, and even the mpg, although decent could be better for the mild driving I typically do with this car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
3,000 issue free miles. Well engineered, spirited DSG All Wheel Drive performance. Biggest interior in the class and very Golf-like. 34 mpg in mixed road distance driving. Ours got better when I made a few simple OBD2 tweaks to Dynamic Steering (less boost and slower ratio) and Direct Threshold Throttle (removed time delay from the fly-by-wire gas pedal to synch better with the DSG).

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Taos S trim is very lacking in technology. I would opt for the $1000 sensor package or the SE trim. Tbh I would just spend a few thousand more and get the Tiguan S which has more crap in it's base trim than the Taos S does, is bigger, has another row of seats, has a bigger engine, and looks the same.

I just didn't have the extra $4000 for the Tiguan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm not the type that wants any of the extra driving technology. The lane keep, adaptive cruise, blind spot warning, etc....

No thanks.

I don't really need any nav or cellphone integration either. I don't answer calls or text while driving. Rarely need nav.

Bluetooth my phone audio for music and good enough.

Yep, you're right though, I am current debating that. Taos S and Tiguan S is only a $1400 difference.

Don't want a panoramic roof either.

The main differencea are: overall interior quality (Tiguan is much nicer), transmission/engine (1.5T DSG vs 2.0T 8 speed, I'd prefer the DSG), cargo space (4motion doesn't have 3rd row and Tiguan is much larger), and MPG (pretty drastic. 31 Taos, 25 Tiguan).

Tiguan felt powerful but ultimately slow in general. The Taos felt like my Alltrack. Zippy.

·
Registered
325 Posts
2023 Taos:
The Taos compact crossover expands the feature set with standard forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking with pedestrian monitoring, blind-spot detection, and rear traffic alert on the entry-level S. The Taos S with 4Motion AWD swaps its 17-inch wheels for 18-inch wheels. IQ.DRIVE driver assistance technology is added to mid-grade SE models as standard equipment. The SEL models receive the panoramic sunroof as standard. Getting in the door starts at $25,450 for an S with front-wheel drive, $660 more than in 2022. Turning both axles starts at $27,790 for an S with 4Motion AWD, a $955 increase.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Taos S trim is very lacking in technology. I would opt for the $1000 sensor package or the SE trim. Tbh I would just spend a few thousand more and get the Tiguan S which has more crap in it's base trim than the Taos S does, is bigger, has another row of seats, has a bigger engine, and looks the same.

I just didn't have the extra $4000 for the Tiguan.
The 2023 adds that technology in S trim.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not the type that wants any of the extra driving technology. The lane keep, adaptive cruise, blind spot warning, etc....

No thanks.

I don't really need any nav or cellphone integration either. I don't answer calls or text while driving. Rarely need nav.

Bluetooth my phone audio for music and good enough.

Yep, you're right though, I am current debating that. Taos S and Tiguan S is only a $1400 difference.

Don't want a panoramic roof either.

The main differencea are: overall interior quality (Tiguan is much nicer), transmission/engine (1.5T DSG vs 2.0T 8 speed, I'd prefer the DSG), cargo space (4motion doesn't have 3rd row and Tiguan is much larger), and MPG (pretty drastic. 31 Taos, 25 Tiguan).

Tiguan felt powerful but ultimately slow in general. The Taos felt like my Alltrack. Zippy.
The Taos S trim does have Nav ability thru phone when plugged in via usb-c along with Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Phone can connect thru Bluetooth for calls and music too. The S trim also has a SD card reader.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I don’t know why you aren’t willing to give some of it a try. Rear traffic and blind spot monitor are just useful, you can turn off lane assist, and ACC with stop/go is awesome once you realize you can use it to drive everywhere and never worry about a speed trap again.
Stubborn and old school mentality probably. I'm sorta like this with everything in my life. I like vanilla.

I know it is all great, but I really don't need any of those things to drive safely and legally. I don't want the vehicle to take control over my own actions.

Fairly rural too; so I don't deal with much traffic overall.

·
Registered
'22 SE AWD w/IQ, sunroof
16 Posts
Real happy with ours we have had since Feb. 9200 miles on it now. I like the engine/DSG, its quirky with a learning curve, but pretty powerful when used right. We run it in ECO most of the time, and will pop it in to Sport for some intersection and in town driving. You can put a load on it too.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try to find an SE without IQ drive. I did and it’s great. My mother’s x1 has blindspot warning and it is not reliable. I prefer the stripped down Taos se w\o IQ. Still safe imo

Stubborn and old school mentality probably. I'm sorta like this with everything in my life. I like vanilla.

I know it is all great, but I really don't need any of those things to drive safely and legally. I don't want the vehicle to take control over my own actions.

Fairly rural too; so I don't deal with much traffic overall.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts