Volkswagen Taos Forum banner

Winter Tires

10K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  Fernanernie 
#1 ·
For those interested, dropping from 225/50R18 to 215/65R16 for winter works. Very close match in overall wheel/ tire height - moves from 26.9 inches to 27. 0.4 % increase. At speedometer showing 60, will actually be at 60.2 mph. VW dealer told me Taos could only drop to 17” and tried to sell me a $1,900 package. This made no sense as VW Canada site shows a 16” wheel option. Tire Rack also shows the 16”, although I wasn’t able to find any Canadian site yet carrying a Taos specific wheel. Research suggested the 2017 Tiguan specs were the same so I gambled on an aftermarket rim with the tiguan size tire of 216/65R16. I made the switch today and completed a 150km test run. All good and ready for the snow.

#3 ·
sorry for the possibly dumb question.... why do we want to go to 16" for snow? are there no good snow tires in other sizes?

also, there are several grades of snow tires and I tend to use extreme duty snow rather than snow tires or all season tires.

#5 ·
sorry for the possibly dumb question.... why do we want to go to 16" for snow? are there no good snow tires in other sizes?

also, there are several grades of snow tires and I tend to use extreme duty snow rather than snow tires or all season tires.
Not a dumb question. The smaller wheel gives a higher sidewall with less risk of damage to the rim on pot holes. At the same time, the slightly narrower tire cuts through the snow rather than sitting on top. Less wheel spin on acceleration and shorter stopping distance. At least, that’s the theory. Realistically, 1cm narrower likely doesn’t make much difference, however even saving a few feet when stopping can made the difference between a collision and a near miss.

#13 ·
Cold and ice is the bigger problem in Ottawa also. We get a good amount of snow- average winter is just under 100”- however the roads generally get plowed quickly and most days you can see the asphalt on major roads. I’d be interested in your thoughts on the X-Ice Snow once we get into winter driving conditions. Did you go with your old rims and 215/65R16 Rubber? Your rims look new.

#14 ·
Yep, 215/65R16. The rims saw one winter on the wife's Beetle before she got stuck once too often and bought a Tiguan. It's the exact same rim Tire Rack lists as an option for the Taos. I washed and waxed them before getting the new tires mounted. :)
I have some alloys from the Tiguan(s) with worn out X-Ice I3s which would fit with the same new tires, but these steelies use the original ball seat bolts and do not need a centering ring, so a bit more convenient.

#27 ·
Hello,
I am planning on buying a 2022 TAOS, changing from a 2018 Tiguan.

I was wondering if the TAOS can use the 2018 Tiguan 17" winter tires/wheels I already own.
The winter tire size for my Tiguan wheels are 215/65 R17.
I realize that that TAOS 17" equivalent is 215/55/ R17, and if my calculations are right, the Tiguan tires are +7%.

Is that too much?

Thanks in advance

#28 ·
Most tire sites do not recommend going more than 3% difference. Some state over 3% is dangerous. I‘m certainly not a tire expert, however I‘ve always played it safe and got as close to the same tire diameter as possible- less than 3%. Suggest you check with dealer or local tire supplier for professional opinion.

#29 ·
Hi everyone,

I just purchase a TAOS 2022 AWD Highline and I was wondering if my winter tires (already have them) will fit on my new car.
Winter size are : 225/55/R18

I've been looking everywhere and it seems that max tire size for R18 is 225/50/R18. But I still want to confirm with you.

Thank you,