Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just purchased a 22 Taos Trendline 4M in Canada and was quoted a wild 1700+tax offer from the dealer to install some pirellis and alloy wheels. I found some steel rims with tires at a much more reasonable rate but for the life of me I can't figure out if the offset would be compatible. The ones I found are (225/55 R17) with Rims (5x112 and bore 57.1), and the part I'm unsure about is the bore size of 57.1.

Does anyone have experience in Canada putting on steel rims and the sizing they used?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Taos Highline
12 Posts
Hello:

Call the parts department at your VW dealer, and ask them what the "offset" is on the alloy wheels that came with your vehicle. If you provide the parts technician with your VIN, he or she will be able to see exactly what wheels came on your vehicle, and by looking up the part number of the wheels can obtain the offset.

With that information, you can then purchase steelies that have the correct offset. BUT....

Having said that, while you are on the phone with the parts guy (or girl), ask them if they have a set of "take-offs" that are the correct offset and bolt pattern for your Taos. "Take-Offs" are alloy wheels that are 99% brand new - they were delivered from the factory installed on a vehicle, but were removed from the vehicle for one reason or another before the vehicle was sold. The parts guy will probably be more than happy to sell you a set of take-offs at a very attractive price, this to get them out of his back room. Be aware that you can use wheels for snow tires that are one inch smaller diameter than the wheels that came on your vehicle (you can also use the same size wheels). If you use wheels that are one inch smaller, you just get snow tires that are a tiny bit taller and a tiny bit less wide.

Michael

·
Registered
2022 Taos Highline Pure Grey
137 Posts
Hi All, just purchased a 22 Taos Trendline 4M in Canada and was quoted a wild 1700+tax offer from the dealer to install some pirellis and alloy wheels. I found some steel rims with tires at a much more reasonable rate but for the life of me I can't figure out if the offset would be compatible. The ones I found are (225/55 R17) with Rims (5x112 and bore 57.1), and the part I'm unsure about is the bore size of 57.1.

Does anyone have experience in Canada putting on steel rims and the sizing they used?

Thanks!
I have the Highline and like CRVW dropped two inches to 215/65/16 For winter. My research showed a wheel fitting a 2014-2017 Tiguan fits the Taos. I believe offset is 43. That’s what I purchased and fit is perfect. I can’t help on the bore other than to say same as Tiguan.

·
Registered
440 Posts
BTW there's a little wiggle room on the offset. Typically, I see a ~10mm range of offsets in wheels that "fit" according to Tire Rack. For the Taos they show wheels with a range of 35-45mm offsets. So the wheel may sit a little further out (lower offset) or a little further in. A few mm is not a big deal, especially if you are fitting slightly narrower tires too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can appreciate picking up steelies for winter however just wanted to share what I did. Picked up the Borbet Type F for my wife's Jetta as they weigh nearly 5 pounds less each (same wheel for Taos). Just a few options in the same price range as the steelie below. Ceramic coated them and they look great on the pure white Jetta.

Rims for Taos

·
Registered
440 Posts
I can appreciate picking up steelies for winter however just wanted to share what I did. Picked up the Borbet Type F for my wife's Jetta as they weigh nearly 5 pounds less each (same wheel for Taos). Just a few options in the same price range as the steelie below. Ceramic coated them and they look great on the pure white Jetta.

Rims for Taos
Yeah those look good. Easy to clean too. I've had a few Borbets before and they've been good quality.

·
Registered
2022 SEL 4Motion Cornflower Blue
94 Posts
Also checked my alloys, +45mm offset. Don't know what the bore is on the wheels, but came with hub rings and cone lug bolts when I ordered them from Tire Rack

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2022 Taos Comfortline 4M and l'm looking at downsizing to 16" as well for winter instead of the original 17" size. I'm wondering what you think about these wheels and tires I found online, especially if the size of the wheels will fit on the car without any spacers required. VW and my garage cannot recommend me anything at this time since VW still hasn't made the 16" size official for the Taos yet.

Wheels: 16 x 6.5, 5-112, Offset 50mm, Center bore 57.10.
Tires: Michelin X-Ice Snow 215/60r16 XL 99H

Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Taos Highline Pure Grey
137 Posts
I certainly not an expert, however your sizes look good with exception of the offset. The 50mm looks to be about 5mm above recommended range. Perhaps others can comment on whether this would make a difference. My winter wheels have a 43mm offset and appear to align very close to the OEM wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I certainly not an expert, however your sizes look good with exception of the offset. The 50mm looks to be about 5mm above recommended range. Perhaps others can comment on whether this would make a difference. My winter wheels have a 43mm offset and appear to align very close to the OEM wheel.
Thanks! I found this other set of rims with an offset of 42mm, which might be more appropriate? Let me know your thoughts.
16 x 7, 5-112, Offset 42mm, Center bore 57.10

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks! I found this other set of rims with an offset of 42mm, which might be more appropriate? Let me know your thoughts.
16 x 7, 5-112, Offset 42mm, Center bore 57.10
Yeah I would go with the 42mm offset. Agree with CanadaTaos, I have not seen a 50mm offset wheel listed as "fitting" anywhere.
For the tires, do you have the option of 215/65R16 as that is closer to the original diameter than the 215/60?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Drove the Taos through the snow for the first time on the Turanza 18 stock tires. Unimpressed. We run true winter tires on everything here in Northwest PA, even the subie. Currently between the two wheels below and the Goodyear and Bridgestone tires. Leaning towards the darker wheels as they are just over 16 lbs and the Goodyear tires as they are a bit better handling from my limited reseach.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Goodyear Wintercommand
Bridgestone Blizzak

Yes, going -2 as they are considerably less expensive than even the 17.
Anyone with any experience with either of the tires? Currently running the Blizzak on our Jetta.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I would go with the 42mm offset. Agree with CanadaTaos, I have not seen a 50mm offset wheel listed as "fitting" anywhere.
For the tires, do you have the option of 215/65R16 as that is closer to the original diameter than the 215/60?
Thanks, I will give the 42mm a try along with the Michelin X-Ice Snow 215/65R16/XL 102T I was able to find. Do you think the 42mm (16 x 7, 5-112, Offset 42mm, Center bore 57.10) should fit without spacers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should be fine without spacer.
I just found this other rim option, which is $35 cheaper than the previous one I sent. However I'd have to pay to ship them back if they don't fit, so I will only consider them if I know they will fit without spacers. What do you guys think?

16x6.5 +45 5x112mm 57.1mm

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just found this other rim option, which is $35 cheaper than the previous one I sent. However I'd have to pay to ship them back if they don't fit, so I will only consider them if I know they will fit without spacers. What do you guys think?

16x6.5 +45 5x112mm 57.1mm
Those are the same size as my steel rims (16x6.5), other than the offset (45 vs 42). TireRack (USA) has some 45mm offset rims listed for the Taos so I'm pretty sure those would work fine. It's 3 mm difference, so they'd sit 3mm further in than mine. I don't see that being an issue. The 6.5" width is fine.

Here's one they list for the Taos with the same specs

Wheel Automotive tire Font Rim Tread

1 - 20 of 20 Posts