Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
with all thats going on in the world in hindsight I would have NEVER bought anything i knew was coming from Russia, but at the time who knew...

For what its worth the car now has over 800 miles on it, 600 of it from this last weekend cruising to the mountains and back at 75 to 85. It's been in 2 feet of snow, through the car wash, and the Window Shades are still hanging on. No doubt the fitment is bad in one or two area's and i would not recommend them (especially now with whats going on) but someone asked to report back and they seem to be on for good and not going anywhere (SO FAR... )

BUT DAM DID I BREAK IN MY NEW TAOS this weekend and get it filthy from head to toe. I went to check on my escape pod (as I call it, LOL) and I was very happy with the trip. Got over 30MPG, i tested the AWD in a few spots i didnt expect it to do well and it did extremely well. Comfortable, decent stereo, drove well, all the gadgets work well, (3) Thumbs Up so far
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Snow

Building Cloud Sky Property Snow

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
196 Posts
with all thats going on in the world in hindsight I would have NEVER bought anything i knew was coming from Russia, but at the time who knew...

For what its worth the car now has over 800 miles on it, 600 of it from this last weekend cruising to the mountains and back at 75 to 85. It's been in 2 feet of snow, through the car wash, and the Window Shades are still hanging on. No doubt the fitment is bad in one or two area's and i would not recommend them (especially now with whats going on) but someone asked to report back and they seem to be on for good and not going anywhere (SO FAR... )

BUT DAM DID I BREAK IN MY NEW TAOS this weekend and get it filthy from head to toe. I went to check on my escape pod (as I call it, LOL) and I was very happy with the trip. Got over 30MPG, i tested the AWD in a few spots i didnt expect it to do well and it did extremely well. Comfortable, decent stereo, drove well, all the gadgets work well, (3) Thumbs Up so far View attachment 667
View attachment 665
View attachment 668
View attachment 666
Great to know your Taos did so well on your trip! I have the S base model 4motion in the metallic gray and love it. Only a few things gone awry but otherwise fantastic. Glad to know yours did so well in the snow.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine is the SE with 4motion and IQ Drive, a little disappointed in the IQ Drive but otherwise very happy with it so far.
As for the snow I rammed the Plow Mound and backed down my driveway upstate and across the lawn with no slipping at all, the other (stupid) thing I did that really impressed me was...
I started to drive down a UNPLOWED boat ramp at a frozen Lake Luzerne and the Mrs started panicking and said are you crazy (I am a little, LOL) so I stopped. At that point I realized what a steep pitch I was on and i was half way down. If i continued I would most likely have ended up on the frozen lake :eek:() I put it in reverse totally expecting it to start spinning but it slowly crawled back up backwards and on the way we went....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mine is the SE with 4motion and IQ Drive, a little disappointed in the IQ Drive but otherwise very happy with it so far.
As for the snow I rammed the Plow Mound and backed down my driveway upstate and across the lawn with no slipping at all, the other (stupid) thing I did that really impressed me was...
I started to drive down a UNPLOWED boat ramp at a frozen Lake Luzerne and the Mrs started panicking and said are you crazy (I am a little, LOL) so I stopped. At that point I realized what a steep pitch I was on and i was half way down. If i continued I would most likely have ended up on the frozen lake :eek:() I put it in reverse totally expecting it to start spinning but it slowly crawled back up backwards and on the way we went....
Wow that’s incredible that you were able to back up. I would have been freaking out!! The only thing that has happened with my car is the check engine light has come on and the dealer said that the N80 valve went. I think it’s something to do with emissions and the cruise control doesn’t work. The dealer will figure out the cruise control once the N80 valve come in from back order. It’s been on back order for 3 weeks. I’ve had my car for 5 weeks today.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I see there are now another set being sold on eBay but they're smoked acrylic with Chrome Trim. As Phil said some may not like if your existing trim is Black.
I just noticed in my case the top trim is black and the bottom trim is chrome so if would look really weird on mine since the back window top and side would still be Black and the trim between the back door and back window would also still be black.
View attachment 729
Yeah, I've been contemplating buying these and then spraying Plasti-Dip on the chrome. Asked AVS again yesterday, and they still don't have an update. Seriously frustrating.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey guys, salesman here in Milwaukee - anyone have any luck with these yet? I have a customer buying a Taos next week and she wants to get these on there.
I recently spoke with AVS. They advised me that all new 2022 models will be released in late May - early June. So hopefully we'll see some on the market within the next few months.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I recently spoke with AVS. They advised me that all new 2022 models will be released in late May - early June. So hopefully we'll see some on the market within the next few months.
Sure hope they come through with them. Thanks for the update. Did they give any idea as to the selling price?

·
Registered
98 Posts
For the record now over 3000 miles and the POS eBay from Russia rain guards have been fine. I did go through a car wash a couple of thousand miles ago and the front edge on the DS got loose so I doubled up the double sided tape in that area and its been rock solid ever since
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes they are, I installed the front ones and as people said they're simply not an good or perfect fit. Been on for 10 or 11 days now and havent fell off yet but this weekend im taking a 600 mile trip and will be cruising 80 for hours so ill know soon enough... LOL

They look ok from a far but the rear dont meet up to the fronts as you'd expect so i tossed them. When you look at the edge with the tape on it you can see they're simply not an perfect fit.
I'm a smoker so i needed something, i just hope they stay on until someone makes a good quality fit View attachment 625
View attachment 626 View attachment 627

View attachment 628
Can you tell us where you got them please?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got them on eBay for $107.00 BEFORE Russia invaded Ukraine. eBay removed the seller and any items shipping from Russia after the war started. It shows the seller is away to Dec 2030, LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought mine from eBay. They came directly from China, and I thought they would be junk. They have a chrome strip incorporated. They fit and function well...I've done 100+ mph, and over 800 miles, they're still on. 🤷

Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car Automotive side-view mirror

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought mine from eBay. They came directly from China, and I thought they would be junk. They have a chrome strip incorporated. They fit and function well...I've done 100+ mph, and over 800 miles, they're still on. 🤷

View attachment 1037
Really wish they didn't have that chrome strip, or had the option to choose black. I have minimal chrome on my car, and these would stand out like a sore thumb. Good to know about the quality though.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts