Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
With the price so close to Tiguan/rav4/Mazda/Crv why did you pick the Taos?
Loved the design, looks more like an Audi then the other compact SUVs you mentioned. And I think I’m more a Volkswagen customer (traded in a Jetta and just stayed at the same dealership.) Although if this recall doesn’t have a solution, I might end up seeing if they’ll buy back and go with a Honda :( I really don’t want to because I love this Taos, it’s perfect size and has everything I need, but I’m going to need it long term and if it’s already screwing up…

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I loved the simple clean lines. I would say all manufacturers have a lemon here or there. If they don’t buy it back I hope they remedy the problem soon and you have many worry free miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Loved the design, looks more like an Audi then the other compact SUVs you mentioned. And I think I’m more a Volkswagen customer (traded in a Jetta and just stayed at the same dealership.) Although if this recall doesn’t have a solution, I might end up seeing if they’ll buy back and go with a Honda :( I really don’t want to because I love this Taos, it’s perfect size and has everything I need, but I’m going to need it long term and if it’s already screwing up…
I loved the simple clean lines. I would say all manufacturers have a lemon here or there. If they don’t buy it back I hope they remedy the problem soon and you have many worry free miles.
I like the the solid look, size and find it fun to drive. I feel for Nae03127 with early problems. I had a BMW that was nothing but trouble and was scared me off the brand. It was a lemon, and I nearly went back but just couldn’t do it. I went from the BMW to a RAV as I’d had an earlier generation and found it very reliable. I knew I was trading fun for boring but reliable and have no complaints. Just find the Taos a better driving experience.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I should have added that the ultimate fun to drive test will be when the snow hits. I’m slightly concerned about the lower clearance. I anticipate it will be great except for the few deep snow days before the plows get out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Except
I should have added that the ultimate fun to drive test will be when the snow hits. I’m slightly concerned about the lower clearance. I anticipate it will be great except for the few deep snow days before the plows get out.
Except VW doesn’t use very good tires for snow, even on the AWD models. Gas mileage uber alles is the mantra due to CAFE. Just imagine how many accidents could be avoided if manufacturers went with the best performing tires rather than the most economical.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Except

Except VW doesn’t use very good tires for snow, even on the AWD models. Gas mileage uber alles is the mantra due to CAFE. Just imagine how many accidents could be avoided if manufacturers went with the best performing tires rather than the most economical.
I haven't tried fitting them yet, but I'm pretty optimistic that the winter tires/wheels from my old Tiguan will fit the Taos. The tire diameter is very close (215/65R16), the offset seems about right, and the bolt pattern will be the same. Michelin X-Ice are pretty good in the snow, especially with AWD.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't tried fitting them yet, but I'm pretty optimistic that the winter tires/wheels from my old Tiguan will fit the Taos. The tire diameter is very close (215/65R16), the offset seems about right, and the bolt pattern will be the same. Michelin X-Ice are pretty good in the snow, especially with AWD.
I hope they fit for you. Always nice to not have to buy new rims and tires for winter. I’m in Ottawa and winter tires are a necessity. I agree on the X-Ice. I’ve had used them on two vehicles. Currently I have Bridgestone Blizzak for my other AWD winter tire It‘s a close call between which is better. My experience gives the advantage to X-Ice on slippery wet or icy roads, while Blizzak is slightly better in deeper snow. The technology of the tire competition is constantly advancing. Given the lower ground clearance I hope to avoid deep snow when possible and will likely go with X-Ice.

·
Registered
2016 Audi S5
54 Posts
I have not bought the Taos yet. But, it is in my short list of cars to consider when I move to Mexico towards the later part of this year or early next year.

I have studied and compared it with other cars in the same segment (Sub-compact SUV) namely Seat Ateca (Taos' sibling manufactured by SEAT which is also owned by VW), Kia Seltos turbo (India version), Hyundai Creta Turbo, and the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross. I also considered vehicles in the Compact SUV segment including the RAV4, CX5, Tucson, and Sportage.

Why is the Taos on top of my list:
1. Interior and Cargo space. Loads of space. It is sized near the op end of the sub-compact SUV segment so it is nearly a compact SUV. I don't need to go up to the likes of the Tiguan for space.
2. Small 1.4L TFSI engine (Mexican market). It does not need to consume much fuel but has some power to spare in case the car is loaded with cargo or passengers.
3. Conservative VW styling. It is not radically styled like the CH-R or the Hyundai Creta. It has more of a timeless appeal just like my current ride, an Audi S5.
4. DSG tranny. I like the fact that the VW group has not really fully embraced CVT's. I have driven CVT equipped cars like the Nissan Sentra. I didn't enjoy any of them. The only CVT equipped car that I kind of liked is the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross. Mitsubishi, I think, programmed the CVT to work wonderfully in that vehicle. Very responsive and without the rubber band feel.
5. Interior Styling. Quintissentially VW. Conservative. Not bold.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm on my second Atlas which is a wonderful full-size SUV. I talked my wife into switching from a Toyota Highlander and she's never looked back. I have owned Jettas and Passats since early 2000's. Before I bought the Taos, I had a 2109 Jetta R-Line which I absolutely loved, but...was craving something a bit more rugged. I think the Taos hits the sweet spot for me without having to move up to a Tiguan. I like the size and responsiveness of the Taos and it compares quite favorably to the responsiveness and nimble feel of the Jetta. It is a ton of fun to drive, and has great looks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For myself the Taos was 23k with all the safety features, I was considering the RAV4 but that started at 27k and Toyota had very limited choices on the lot. Also VW offered a much better finance option. I have the front wheel drive so I’m not having the issue that the all wheel drive is having.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For myself the Taos was 23k with all the safety features, I was considering the RAV4 but that started at 27k and Toyota had very limited choices on the lot. Also VW offered a much better finance option. I have the front wheel drive so I’m not having the issue that the all wheel drive is having.
so, 4K savings and better financing

·
Registered
2022 VW Taos SE Fwd
19 Posts
We had 1997 CRV with 305k miles that all 4 of my kids have driven over the last 24 years and rounded off the corners. Youngest son is off to college and needs something more reliable and more room. Looked at Honda and Toyota dealer lots, but not much there. Happen to see VW ad on tv and went down the next day. San Diego Dealer had 14 Taos on lot. Didn't need AWD so ended up with SE model with front wheel drive and all safety options. Easy to park on college parking lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts