Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking of getting a Taos. In making a major purchase I rely on the posts of current owners. What do they like? What is giving them trouble? Are they enthusiastic about their purchases? Do they regret their purchases?

So why is this forum so empty? Is it that, due to the chip shortage or the pandemic, so few Taoses have been made and sold that there are virtually no owners out there? Or are all the cars out there so trouble-free (or so boring??) that nobody has anything to say? Is there another forum that I don’t know about?

Look at the ID.4 forum. Thousands of posts! Here, nearly all the posts are from weeks or months ago. It’s almost as though the Taos has disappeared from the face of the earth.

Comments, anyone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m thinking of getting a Taos. In making a major purchase I rely on the posts of current owners. What do they like? What is giving them trouble? Are they enthusiastic about their purchases? Do they regret their purchases?

So why is this forum so empty? Is it that, due to the chip shortage or the pandemic, so few Taoses have been made and sold that there are virtually no owners out there? Or are all the cars out there so trouble-free (or so boring??) that nobody has anything to say? Is there another forum that I don’t know about?

Look at the ID.4 forum. Thousands of posts! Here, nearly all the posts are from weeks or months ago. It’s almost as though the Taos has disappeared from the face of the earth.

Comments, anyone?
Lpp

Comments, anyone?
hi, I have had my Taos for a couple weeks now and have put almost 1,000 miles on it.
Overall I have been very happy with it. I have the base model with all the safety features. This is my 5th VW. I’m going to nitpick, wish it had a sunglass holder. It has taken me some time to get use to the way it shifts. When it’s not in sports mode it’s difficult to take off with medium acceleration. Taking off slow is easy but when you push it it seems to jump into high gear. I think I’m adapting to it now? Also after purchasing it I found out that you can’t tow with it.

I contacted VW and they sent me this email.

Thank you again for contacting Volkswagen Customer Care regarding the Taos!

I am following up with you after reviewing your Taos towing inquiry with my internal resources. The Taos is not designed for towing a trailer. With that being said, no trailer hitch may be retrofitted. Since the Taos is not designed for towing, we do not have a recommended towing capacity for the model whatsoever.

This is not a deal breaker for me. Even if it could tow it probably wouldn’t be over 1000lbs

I drove it between Tampa and Miami. Highway ride is very good and got a little over 36 mpg. Adaptive cruise control and lane assist worked great, just had to get use to it. Turning radius is great. I think it’s better than my 2017 golf that I traded in for this. I miss how the golf hugs the road but this has a much smoother ride. Overall I feel great about the purchase. Because of the chip situation I got top dollar for my golf a good deal on the Taos. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the helpful review, Daiger. By basic, can I assume you have the FWD version?
Yes that’s correct I have FWD. I don’t believe the all wheel drive is out yet? The horse power on this is sufficient, decent acceleration but you probably won’t win a race lol. This comes standard with the duel clutch tiptronic transmission.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve been wondering the same thing myself. I mean, I know the car isn’t like an exciting tuner car or anything, but the lack of discussion seems weird.

My AWD SEL has a delivery date of 7/5-7/9. I’ll let you know my AWD impressions once we take delivery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve been wondering the same thing myself. I mean, I know the car isn’t like an exciting tuner car or anything, but the lack of discussion seems weird.

My AWD SEL has a delivery date of 7/5-7/9. I’ll let you know my AWD impressions once we take delivery.
You have to take into consideration a couple things:
  • This appears to be a US oriented messageboard
  • This is a new model car for that market
  • Vehicle production is hampered for a few external reasons
  • Not many people who will buy this vehicle are car enthusiasts, thus won't join messageboards

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lpp
hi, I have had my Taos for a couple weeks now and have put almost 1,000 miles on it.
Overall I have been very happy with it. I have the base model with all the safety features. This is my 5th VW. I’m going to nitpick, wish it had a sunglass holder. It has taken me some time to get use to the way it shifts. When it’s not in sports mode it’s difficult to take off with medium acceleration. Taking off slow is easy but when you push it it seems to jump into high gear. I think I’m adapting to it now? Also after purchasing it I found out that you can’t tow with it.

I am following up with you after reviewing your Taos towing inquiry with my internal resources. The Taos is not designed for towing a trailer. With that being said, no trailer hitch may be retrofitted. Since the Taos is not designed for towing, we do not have a recommended towing capacity for the model whatsoever.

This is not a deal breaker for me. Even if it could tow it probably wouldn’t be over 1000lbs

I drove it between Tampa and Miami. Highway ride is very good and got a little over 36 mpg. Adaptive cruise control and lane assist worked great, just had to get use to it. Turning radius is great. I think it’s better than my 2017 golf that I traded in for this. I miss how the golf hugs the road but this has a much smoother ride. Overall I feel great about the purchase. Because of the chip situation I got top dollar for my golf a good deal on the Taos. Hope this helps.
The Tiguan has a similar behavior on medium acceleration from stop. My wife doesn’t mind. I drive it in sport around town because I mind.
My Jetta with rhe same transmission and almost the same engine doesn’t behave that way. I never drive it in S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Tiguan has a similar behavior on medium acceleration from stop. My wife doesn’t mind. I drive it in sport around town because I mind.
My Jetta with rhe same transmission and almost the same engine doesn’t behave that way. I never drive it in S.
Thanks for the reply. Now I know I’m not crazy haha.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Now I know I’m not crazy haha.
I currently have a 2019 Jetta, and standard shifting under light and medium throttle is like that.
Staying lower in the RPM band helps fuel economy. Less air being sucked in = less fuel needs to be burned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lpp

Greetings,
Just over 2 weeks in to my Taos SE.
Interesting your comment on the towing, my local dealer was able to cite the official towing cap as 2200lbs.
Going to have a hitch thrown on soon, mostly looking to use my bike rack and maybe small trailers. The standard equipment also states "tow preparation" which the parts guys say is the wire harness for tow lights.
Will update once this is sorted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings,
Just over 2 weeks in to my Taos SE.
Interesting your comment on the towing, my local dealer was able to cite the official towing cap as 2200lbs.
Going to have a hitch thrown on soon, mostly looking to use my bike rack and maybe small trailers. The standard equipment also states "tow preparation" which the parts guys say is the wire harness for tow lights.
Will update once this is sorted.
That’s good news. Please keep me updated. Can we get anything in writing? Don’t want to affect the warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That’s good news. Please keep me updated. Can we get anything in writing? Don’t want to affect the warranty.
I am on mobile now, but once I'm at my desktop I'll hunt down the text.
I am on a lease myself (My 2012 Golf TDI was totaled :-( . And specifically had my sales rep get clearance from VW Credit. I got the OK but just to remove if I turn in at the end of my lease.
More to come..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had the Taos for about a week now. It has serious acceleration problems. Read the available reviews before you get it. Your better off getting a RAV 4 or a Mazda instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts