Volkswagen Taos Forum banner

Weird Software Issues FWD SE

16K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  lkmarciano 
#1 ·
Is anybody else having weird software issues? I have had my display change from the redundant speed display with nothing on the sides, to showing just the speed, radio info, and trip info. When I try to hit view to change it back nothing happens. Turn the car off and back on and the correct display comes back on.

Occasionally the the radio gets stuck on the welcome screen until I restart as well.

I was on a 500 mile road trip and when I got back in after getting gas, the radio said I had no xm radio ID and no stations. Had to drive 300 miles in silence.

Hopefully it is just an update issue.

#2 ·
Hi there,
I utilize Apple Car Play almost always. I’ve had a few instances where it freezes or if I switch between radio sources, the screen will go blank. If you hold the power button on the touchscreen for about 45 seconds and then let go, it should restart the touchscreen - you’ll see the Volkswagen screen and then the system should start working again.
I took the car in for this and the rear traffic alert almost never working or waiting until after the car is already passed me before giving me an alert. They said that VW Is aware of the issue and that I will get a letter when an update is available to be installed.

#3 ·
This is an issue with the buggy (feels like beta) MIB3 system, not exclusive to the Taos. All models with this system experience issues and slow responses compared to the previous generation non-wireless car play systems.

If it’s any consolation, having used a Pacifica minivan with the Chrysler head unit with wireless car play for 18 days as a rental, the buggy MIB3 is still better. The Chrysler is even more buggy. Although the wider screen is better for carplay.

#4 ·
So do you think this is also what impacts the speedometer display as well? Again this morning got in the car and the digital speed display came on but not the redundant circular display around it. I stopped at the store and when I restarted, it was there. I'm ok with some display bugs in a new system..I can't even use wireless car play because LG has not updated my phone to Android 11.

#7 ·
My SEL started acting up the day after purchase. Driving down the road all the visual and noise alarms from all the IQ safety features starting going off and lighting up my dash and became non-functional....including the cruise control. Called VW and they said they were booked and couldn't get the car in for 3 weeks but drive it anyway cause everything else was functioning. Parked it in the garage till appointment where it sat all day waiting for VW corporate techs to call the mechanic and tell him what to do. They never called! And now I have to bring it in again tomorrow. After reading some of the other things going on with these vehicles I hope I didn't make a big mistake with this purchase.

#17 ·
Driving down the road all the visual and noise alarms from all the IQ safety features starting going off and lighting up my dash and became non-functional....including the cruise control.
I was driving down the interstate on 6/24/2022 with ACC turned on and was in traffic. The semi truck in front of me came to a complete stop, but my VW Taos did not stop or slow down, so I had to intervene in order to prevent an accident. After I came to a complete stop, my vehicle started beeping, flashing errors on the dashboard for every safety system on my car including the Airbags, Traction Control, Anti-lock Brakes, all Safety Sensors, Cruise Control, and something called Brake Booster. It stayed like this for about 10 minutes. After moving more, traffic came to a complete stop again, so I took the opportunity to turn my car off and restart it, and the warnings came up again. After 5-10 more minutes, the errors finally cleared off my dashboard. This made me very concerned that I would not be protected if I were in an accident. This is the third time my vehicle has done this since owning it.

Automotive design Personal luxury car Car Automotive lighting Gas

#9 ·
Does anyone know if Volkswagen is aware of these software issues? I agree with STL_Taos, I understand these issues happen with a new model car, but I just want to make sure Volkswagen is aware of the problem and is working on a fix. I absolutely love my Taos and am glad I bought it. I just want all the kinks to be worked out so I can truly enjoy it

I have an SE and here are a few of the issues I’m having…..

1) The speedometer display will sometimes randomly change and pressing view won’t change. it normally fixes itself after I turn off the car and restart it later.
2) I’ve had an instance where I left my garage and the display/speedometer didn’t get brighter once I hit daylight. I ended up driving a half hour with a dim display. I even pulled over and turned off the car and restarted it and it wouldn’t fix the problem. It did, however, eventually fix itself. This actually only happened once.
3) Now that we are in the heating season, I’m noticing that the A/C button will randomly turn itself back on even though I specifically turn it off and the temperature is turned to heat. It might not be that big of a deal, but it’s still happening and I’m not sure that it should be.
4) I’m having issues with the Car Net App. I responded to a recent thread about that….but I’m short, the app is unable to communicate with the car.
5) I’ve had 2 instances now where I’ve tried to remote start my car using the fob and the car won’t start. The lights flash like it’s going to start, but it doesn’t. Every other time, the remote start has worked.

I’ve had a few other issues and I’m sure they’re all software issues so I’m not panicking or anything. Like I said, I just want to make sure that Volkswagen is aware of the problem so it can eventually be fixed. I love my Taos!

#11 ·
Does anyone know if Volkswagen is aware of these software issues? I agree with STL_Taos, I understand these issues happen with a new model car, but I just want to make sure Volkswagen is aware of the problem and is working on a fix. I absolutely love my Taos and am glad I bought it. I just want all the kinks to be worked out so I can truly enjoy it

I have an SE and here are a few of the issues I’m having…..

1) The speedometer display will sometimes randomly change and pressing view won’t change. it normally fixes itself after I turn off the car and restart it later.
2) I’ve had an instance where I left my garage and the display/speedometer didn’t get brighter once I hit daylight. I ended up driving a half hour with a dim display. I even pulled over and turned off the car and restarted it and it wouldn’t fix the problem. It did, however, eventually fix itself. This actually only happened once.
3) Now that we are in the heating season, I’m noticing that the A/C button will randomly turn itself back on even though I specifically turn it off and the temperature is turned to heat. It might not be that big of a deal, but it’s still happening and I’m not sure that it should be.
4) I’m having issues with the Car Net App. I responded to a recent thread about that….but I’m short, the app is unable to communicate with the car.
5) I’ve had 2 instances now where I’ve tried to remote start my car using the fob and the car won’t start. The lights flash like it’s going to start, but it doesn’t. Every other time, the remote start has worked.

I’ve had a few other issues and I’m sure they’re all software issues so I’m not panicking or anything. Like I said, I just want to make sure that Volkswagen is aware of the problem so it can eventually be fixed. I love my Taos!
Same issues as 1, 3, 4 & 5. The Car-Net App is garbage. Just this morning, i attempted to remote start from the app. It timed-out twice and the third time the app indicated the car was not in park. :mad:

#12 ·
That was happening to me, so I tired locking the doors, even though they were already locked and it worked, The same happened with trying to start with the key fob. My apple car play is awful. Dealer says there is a software update coming in a week or two. Hope it solves some issues!

#13 ·
That was happening to me, so I tired locking the doors, even though they were already locked and it worked, The same happened with trying to start with the key fob. My apple car play is awful. Dealer says there is a software update coming in a week or two. Hope it solves some issues!
Sure hope for some kind of fix for this. Really annoying and i have basically stopped using the piece of junk app. 7 times out of 10, the fob doesn't perform the remote start either. Hit the lock button, hit the remote start button twice and nothing except the lights flash. A day or two later, it all may work fine. Features we thought we had on the car, apparently are just a joke. There is no way i'd pay for this App in it's current state. Also, getting the MIB3 to even turn on, is a job in itself at times. I had my Taos in the shop in September for this very issue and the technician supposedly re-flashed the system and it worked great for a month or so, now it's back. I feel very fortunate though, that i have not had any other issues with the vehicle itself.

#14 ·
Is anybody else having weird software issues? I have had my display change from the redundant speed display with nothing on the sides, to showing just the speed, radio info, and trip info. When I try to hit view to change it back nothing happens. Turn the car off and back on and the correct display comes back on.

Occasionally the the radio gets stuck on the welcome screen until I restart as well.

I was on a 500 mile road trip and when I got back in after getting gas, the radio said I had no xm radio ID and no stations. Had to drive 300 miles in silence.

Yes, I have had my FWD SE for nearly 3 months now. Many times it takes the radio a while to boot when I start and says "Waiting..." I do hear music but cannot see or change channels. One or two times it just never booted up so I had to restart the car. I nearly always have my music set on Sirius XM btw.

#15 ·

#20 ·
If you have a USB drive plugged in that could be causing this. There were times when started my 2021 GTI Autobahn with the Fender system the radio came on there was no sound and neither the volume knob or the volume control on the steering wheel worked. It even went so far as the blind spot monitoring not working. Removed the USB drive restart the car and everything went back to normal. I now have a 2022 Taos SE with the base radio. When first plugged in the USB drive seemed to work then it stopped displaying the cover art. I had a 2019 Golf Sportwagen and never had these problems.

#21 ·
Is anybody else having weird software issues? I have had my display change from the redundant speed display with nothing on the sides, to showing just the speed, radio info, and trip info. When I try to hit view to change it back nothing happens. Turn the car off and back on and the correct display comes back on. Occasionally the the radio gets stuck on the welcome screen until I restart as well. I was on a 500 mile road trip and when I got back in after getting gas, the radio said I had no xm radio ID and no stations. Had to drive 300 miles in silence. Hopefully it is just an update issue.
My Taos seems to get confused when I try to start a podcast and it is starting up Spotify. Everything on the infotainment center does not work; Sirius, radio, Bluetooth, navigation, whatever until I stop and shut it off. Dealer says it's because I use an aftermarket aux cord (Um - Bluetooth) or that my phone is not up to date. I have a new phone so let's try another excuse! They have done the reset but didn't help. I would just prefer them to admit there is an issue instead of giving me excuses.

#23 ·
Just great, I just bought the 2023 Taos American edition of course here in Germany on base. it's 3 weeks old and I too am having software issues. But just my luck being stationed in Germany, and the Taos is not sold in Germany, I bet the German VW dealership will not have an update for the US model!