Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good news, bad news.
First the bad:
This hitch did not fit on the AWD model. The way the exhaust tips are angled and the location of the muffler obstruct the left hand (driver's) side of the hitch. I did a loose fit to test and it's just not going to work.
Etrailer.com is cool about the return, I pay the shipping.

Good news:
Etrailer now has a hitch confirmed to fit the 22 Taos, all models.
Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch DT74GR

I'm going to give this one a try, hopefully with better results. Even nicer, this is a class III, 2" :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good news, bad news.
First the bad:
This hitch did not fit on the AWD model. The way the exhaust tips are angled and the location of the muffler obstruct the left hand (driver's) side of the hitch. I did a loose fit to test and it's just not going to work.
View attachment 251
That’s too bad it did not fit on the AWD but it’s great that they now offer a compatible hitch designed for the Taos . That did not take nearly as long as I expected it to. Show the finished product once you have installed the other hitch.

Good news:
Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch DT74GR

I'm going to give this one a try, hopefully with better results. Even nicer, this is a class III, 2" :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good news, bad news.
First the bad:
View attachment 251

Good news:

Very interesting! I just received mine in the mail and am contemplating returning it for the Draw-Tite one. Then I don’t have to use an adapter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very interesting! I just received mine in the mail and am contemplating returning it for the Draw-Tite one. Then I don’t have to use an adapter.
Bad news if you own the AWD, this hitch will not fit. It took me several emails and photos with Draw-Tite to confirm. etrailer.com was absolutely no help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Disappointed that towing is not allowed with the Taos.

Thank you again for contacting Volkswagen Customer Care regarding the Taos!

I am following up with you after reviewing your Taos towing inquiry with my internal resources. The Taos is not designed for towing a trailer. With that being said, no trailer hitch may be retrofitted. Since the Taos is not designed for towing, we do not have a recommended towing capacity for the model whatsoever.
Is there something in the works to have a class 1 tow hitch made for the 2022 Taos SEL so I can mount a bike rack?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was able to mount a hitch on my after watching many videos surrounding the golf . I ended up ordering a hitch from etrailer.com for a 2021 golf and it lines up perfectly to the frame. Only had to trim the plastic cover underneath in a couple of spots. Hitch number CURT11412. Install took me 1 hour . View attachment 230 View attachment 231 View attachment 231
Thanks for the info! This is exactly what I was looking for as well! Draw Tite does now offer a class III receiver, (eTrailer has it), but apparently not for the AWD model, which I have. I’m pretty confident that it will fit, but I really want a lighter, smaller receiver, given my Yakima bike rack. Very disappointed too that VW couldn’t come up with anything to provide an option for a bike rack.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Does anyone know what installing a hitch for a bike rack does to the warranty?
By law, nothing unless use of the hitch damaged the vehicle. So carry bikes and transferring the load to the rear axle is all you are doing, no difference than loading items in the hatch.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts