Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Never mind I found the video. I haven’t looked at the underside of my Taos to much yet. Did you have to unscrew the exhaust?
No, the exhaust is not in the way on the Taos. There is a large black flat piece of plastic held up by 4 screws and 3 plastic nuts on the back side. This piece you could actually leave off if you wanted . I wanted it to be as clean as possible though and is why I chose to notch it out and re install .

ou

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can’t wait to order this now!!
I know when my hitch arrived and I unboxed it to measure the holes and it was the identical 39” on center of the frame it made my day ! Was also glad I didn’t have to buy a roof mount rack. Or get a different vehicle all together . I am passionate about MTBiking and was so dead set on figuring this thing out prior to however long it takes a manufacturer to spec a component for a new lineup of car. Didn’t want to wait that long !

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know when my hitch arrived and I unboxed it to measure the holes and it was the identical 39” on center of the frame it made my day ! Was also glad I didn’t have to buy a roof mount rack. Or get a different vehicle all together . I am passionate about MTBiking and was so dead set on figuring this thing out prior to however long it takes a manufacturer to spec a component for a new lineup of car. Didn’t want to wait that long !
[/QUO
Agreed! Can you lock the adapter to the receiver as well? Is that a Fuel your riding?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agreed! Can you lock the adapter to the receiver as well? Is that a Fuel your riding?
here is the lock I use to secure the adapter to the receiver and my Thule has its own locking mechanism into the 2” portion.
It is a Fuel EX 8 highly modified.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This looks great! Exactly what I'm looking for. Could you post a photo showing where you had to trim the plastic? That is my biggest concern to not mess up the lower skirting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This looks great! Exactly what I'm looking for. Could you post a photo showing where you had to trim the plastic? That is my biggest concern to not mess up the lower skirting.
passenger side where hitch arm goes through plastic belly pan to mount to the frame. I cut leaving 1/2” tolerance on all sides just to allow for ease of install.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry, I should have looked further--I see the pics of the underside. About how much did you need to trim/notch?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry, I should have looked further--I see the pics of the underside. About how much did you need to trim/notch?
Plastic was marked and cut on the ground once removed from the car using aviation shears. You Could use a dremel, or other rotary tool to make the notch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting--I don't have that black panel on mine. The muffler is there. Ugh, mine is AWD is yours FWD?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes mine is FWD. send a photo of yours
[/QUOTE
I will have to look at mine but I may just remove that covering from mine as my Taos is a lease. And mine is FWD as well!
Yeah
I will have to look at mine but I may just remove that covering from mine as my Taos is a lease. And mine is FWD as well!
That’s what I would do , just remove and re secure the 3 plastic nuts that hold the rear section of that plastic belly pan up. You will need these to go back onto the car so the heat shields don’t rattle around when you take that plastic piece off .

·
Registered
21 Posts
AWD 4Motion: Not sure if these will help. My guess is that the muffler may sit too low for the hitch to clear

21 - 40 of 69 Posts