Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 VW Taos SE FWD, Cornflower Blue
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a couple pics of the Taos towing my 2016 Waverunner V1sport. It tows it fantastically, can barely even tell it's there except for a bit slower accelerating and only getting 23-24mpg highway. Oil temps are no problem even after a 2 hour highway drive in 93+ temps. With a full tank of fuel and trailer the weight is right around 1000-1100lb.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

Wheel Tire Boat trailer Land vehicle Vehicle

Water Wheel Tire Car Plant

Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Gauge

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wonder what the transmission temperature was that I wish we could see too you would think it would show you that but I know the taos is not a tow Machine lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder what the transmission temperature was that I wish we could see too you would think it would show you that but I know the taos is not a tow Machine lol
This is the same transmission used in the atlas which has a pretty solid tow rating, and the Taos has a transmission cooler as well, albeit not as big of one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the brakes will be the weakest spot, particularly with non-braking trailers. I like that blue...
I can tell you that with this weight of trailer at least, the brakes feel just as good and confident as without, they don't feel overburdened at all.

·
Registered
201 Posts
you wont feel them acting funny unless you're well over GVWR even if you're still within GAWR. but they will wear faster, just keep and eye on it sooner than you might otherwise. if the combo is over GVWR then it will have an impact. more so if you live in hilly area.

with the mountains in my area, it would be a major mistake to tow with my Taos. it already has to use more brake than I'd like going down steep long grades when loaded with bags/people. that will be deligated to my truck which has no issues slowing a 10,000# load without brakes down steep grades

its all situational and these are the things that need to be considered when towing (with any vehicle and load)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They look pretty good, what tire size did you go with. They look a little beefier than the OEM.
215/55/R18 (factory was 215/50/r18 but my size is basically the same as the size that came on the AWD. If I ever need to put another set on I'll prob go with 225/50r18 instead, a bit wider.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts