Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
View attachment 852
Bought these today. These will be a nice upgrade from the 17’s I have. Also wrapping them in 235/45r18 wider and still has a good amount of side wall.
What’s the ride quality between oem 17s and 18s? Mine came with 19s and I find the ride too harsh at high speeds (65+). Strongly considering downgrading to 17s…. It’s a dilemma, going down to 17s and having aesthetic regrets, or 18s and beating myself up if the ride remains too harsh.

·
Registered
2022 Taos Highline Pure Grey
142 Posts
I avoided 19s and went with 18s at purchase. I’m living with them, however I do find them a bit harsh. I dropped down to 16 for my winters , wanting that higher sidewall protection. I really noticed the difference in feel when I switched back in the spring.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What’s the ride quality between oem 17s and 18s? Mine came with 19s and I find the ride too harsh at high speeds (65+). Strongly considering downgrading to 17s…. It’s a dilemma, going down to 17s and having aesthetic regrets, or 18s and beating myself up if the ride remains too harsh.
Ride quality will be better with 17s (assuming the same tire of course). That said, mine has 18s and I find the ride very comfortable. However my daily is a GTI with much firmer suspension.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I avoided 19s and went with 18s at purchase. I’m living with them, however I do find them a bit harsh. I dropped down to 16 for my winters , wanting that higher sidewall protection. I really noticed the difference in feel when I switched back in the spring.
Did you have any issues with the ACC/IQ or safety systems with the 16's? .... From what I understand, there's no sensor within the wheel/tire like back in the day, should be all ABS centric, just reset TPMS and good to go. Is that the case?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ride quality will be better with 17s (assuming the same tire of course). That said, mine has 18s and I find the ride very comfortable. However my daily is a GTI with much firmer suspension.
Will prob. go 17s ... if downgrading for ride comfort, might as well. Is your GTI with DCC? ... Had a MK7 GLI non DCC as a daily, oddly enough the Taos even with 19s has a much smoother ride at lower speeds, but 68+ gets super rough/bouncy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Will prob. go 17s ... if downgrading for ride comfort, might as well. Is your GTI with DCC? ... Had a MK7 GLI non DCC as a daily, oddly enough the Taos even with 19s has a much smoother ride at lower speeds, but 68+ gets super rough/bouncy.
Non-DCC only for me. I have run the Taos up to 95 on the highway and it felt fine. It doesn't corner like the GTI, but it is for my daughter after all. On a related note, I did go down to 17s on all three MK7 GTIs I've had. Left the 18s on the Golf R.

·
Registered
2022 Taos Highline Pure Grey
142 Posts
Did you have any issues with the ACC/IQ or safety systems with the 16's? .... From what I understand, there's no sensor within the wheel/tire like back in the day, should be all ABS centric, just reset TPMS and good to go. Is that the case?
No issues with the 16s. As you say, just reset the TPMS. ACC/IQ was fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess its all about perspective. Have the Pirelli Scorpion A/S 19’s on our Taos, and it’s one of the smoothest riding cars on the highway that I’ve owned!

·
Registered
58 Posts
That’s exactly why I went with 18’s. I wanted to go bigger but not compromise the ride considering the fact I use the Taos as a long trip vehicle due to gas prices. I also went wider which kinda makes me feel the quality of the ride at higher speeds is better, but it might just be a placebo affect lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That’s exactly why I went with 18’s. I wanted to go bigger but not compromise the ride considering the fact I use the Taos as a long trip vehicle due to gas prices. I also went wider which kinda makes me feel the quality of the ride at higher speeds is better, but it might just be a placebo affect lol.
Sounds like a nice fit. If you don't mind sharing, what's your setup? ... I've been thinking of goodyear assurance comfort ride tires, still contemplating if 17s or 18s.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My turn, heres the goth egg as i call it. Solowerks coilovers and rotiform las-r’s 19x8.5 +35. Fitment is flush all over and ive since added black rally armour flaps. Went for the OE+ approach View attachment 1027

How is the ride. Is it comparable to the stock ride or is it bumpy now. I want to go really low but scared of the ride becoming super bumpy and too stiff.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts