Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
That has rotor thickness, but not pads. VW Tweeted the same thing to me. I had to emphasize pads. No further reply from them yet.

My best guess is 12.5 front and 10 mm rear. But I really would like to know for a benchmark in watching wear.

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's helpful, but better to know without backing plate. And are those fronts?

Searching the rears part number comes up with 16.4mm but again with backing plate. Which seems wrong as the rears should be less than the fronts.

·
Registered
540 Posts
That's helpful, but better to know without backing plate. And are those fronts?

Searching the rears part number comes up with 16.4mm but again with backing plate. Which seems wrong as the rears should be less than the fronts.
Those are rears. I managed to find another spec that says 16.4mm too, for the rears. Probably some variation between manufacturers. Guessing the OE pads are the full 16.4mm and some aftermarket are a little thinner? I doubt they'd make then thicker than OE because they might not fit.

Including the backing plate is helpful if you are using the depth gauge on a set of calipers (measuring, not brake!). FWIW the backing plate on the aftermarket pads I got for the Q3 are about 4.5mm thick (yes I still haven't installed them!).

·
Registered
256 Posts
So, VW found the info. They did well. But check this, the brake pad spec is tied to the Taos VIN Number!! I do not get that, but it took the VIN to get the specs:

"Brake pad info tied to your VIN: - Front Brake Pad Thickness: 14mm without backing plate - Front Brake Pad Wear Limit: 2mm without backing plate -

Inner/Outer Rear Brake Pad Thickness: 11mm without backing plate - Inner/Outer Rear Brake Pad Wear Limit: 2mm without backing plate"

So, in 5350 miles my fronts measured 12mm or down 2mm. Rears measured 9mm or down 2mm. SO wearing evenly, but at this rate 20K Miles rear and maybe 30K miles front can be expected.

Interesting, no?

·
Registered
540 Posts
So, VW found the info. They did well. But check this, the brake pad spec is tied to the Taos VIN Number!! I do not get that, but it took the VIN to get the specs:

"Brake pad info tied to your VIN: - Front Brake Pad Thickness: 14mm without backing plate - Front Brake Pad Wear Limit: 2mm without backing plate -

Inner/Outer Rear Brake Pad Thickness: 11mm without backing plate - Inner/Outer Rear Brake Pad Wear Limit: 2mm without backing plate"

So, in 5350 miles my fronts measured 12mm or down 2mm. Rears measured 9mm or down 2mm. SO wearing evenly, but at this rate 20K Miles rear and maybe 30K miles front can be expected.

Interesting, no?
Very interesting. Thanks for that bit of research!

I wonder if the VIN is needed because the pads are different on AWD/FWD. Since the rear suspension is different, there may be small differences in the brakes. Maybe the rear suspension just gets assembled in a different place before going to the assembly line and uses a different pad supplier. Or it could be they just switched suppliers at some point so there is a before/after VIN split. Who knows.

If your estimates are correct, then that's not too bad. Yes, pretty low mileage to have to replace pads, but by then you should be able to find some aftermarket pads that will last a lot longer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just did tire rotation, brake pads have 12mm front and 6mm rear, looks like new rear pads will be needed soon, probably at the 20k mark. Hopefully some ceramic sets will last 2-3x as long.

·
Registered
2022 Taos SEL 4MOTION
5 Posts
I wonder if people with premature wear so early, frequently use the adaptive cruise control? It seems to me that when I use it, the rear brakes are being applied to maintain the distance between me and the vehicle in front of me. This tactic makes the ride smoother.

·
Registered
2022 Taos SEL 4MOTION
5 Posts
OK, took my car in for 10K service today at 5350 miles. I do not believe in keeping first oil in for more than 5,000 miles. Had two things to check as well, rear brakes being one of them.

Seems I have used 1mm front and 3 mm rear brake pads.(Updated in future post) The reason, as explained, is Auto Cruise Control! When the car brakes because of slower traffic in front of you, then it uses the rear brakes ONLY. They are small pads. And this is why the rears wear so much faster than the fronts. Dealer thinks expect 20K miles on rear pads.

The other thing of interest is both my front tires, but left moreso, have a stepping on the outer tread where back of the trad block slightly lower than the front of the next tread block. Rears perfect.

I checked every newer Taos, Atlas and Tiguan in for service and they ALL had the same. So not an alignment issue for me, but how the agressive FWD (even AWD) wears the front tires. I rotated. Will see how that works out. But at leastnot just me.
I agree with you about the auto cruise control and the rear brakes. I think that the rear brakes are applied to control the distance. This is to keep the distance exact and to make the ride smoother.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts