Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, I've owned a 2002 Passat 2019 sport wagon 2021 GTI. None ever wore out the rear brakes and this is the first time I've heard of Volkswagen having a history of rear brakes wear. I'm sorry I'm calling BS. Better more expensive brake pads only lasting twice as long. It's still unacceptable and premature wear. If you have some wearing out prematurely and other people aren't having any problems it ain't the pads

·
Registered
2022 Taos SE FWD Platinum Gray
302 Posts
Yeah, brake bias may certainly play a part but this should be something that the engineers would have enough knowledge to have figured out prior to release. If not, then same engineers will be answering for much more than just brake bias.

I'm writing this off as just some cost cutting and going w/ some cheap low-cost bid pads. Trying a new set of pads is next to nothing since I DIY almost all my repairs/maintenance. I'll go that route first and get back w/ what I find :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well, I've owned a 2002 Passat 2019 sport wagon 2021 GTI. None ever wore out the rear brakes and this is the first time I've heard of Volkswagen having a history of rear brakes wear. I'm sorry I'm calling BS. Better more expensive brake pads only lasting twice as long. It's still unacceptable and premature wear. If you have some wearing out prematurely and other people aren't having any problems it ain't the pads
It could easily be the pads if some build dates got different pad material...
The history is there. If the internet was around in the 80s there would have been lots of posts then too, lol.
I'm on VW #14 or something and for the later ones (that didn't have drums on the rear!), 40k or sometimes less on a set of OE rear pads was pretty common. You could get aftermarket pads around the same price as OE, throw them on, and never worry about them again (within reason). I did that on the Corrado, several Golfs, and most recently on a 2017 Tiguan. Twice as long is probably a low estimate. Among aftermarket pads there is typically still a huge range of choices, each with compromises on life, noise, feel, brake dust, etc.
I totally agree, 20k or less is unacceptable, and some engineering was definitely done on a Friday afternoon there.
If VW were to come out with a service bulletin for this (which they quite possibly will) it would be interesting to see if it involved replacing the pads or reprogramming the ABS unit...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yeah, brake bias may certainly play a part but this should be something that the engineers would have enough knowledge to have figured out prior to release. If not, then same engineers will be answering for much more than just brake bias.

I'm writing this off as just some cost cutting and going w/ some cheap low-cost bid pads. Trying a new set of pads is next to nothing since I DIY almost all my repairs/maintenance. I'll go that route first and get back w/ what I find :)
I guarantee they have multiple suppliers of brake pads for the factory, especially given supply chain issues these days. It may be more a case of "What can we get?" rather than the cheapest option. Heck, look at the different OE tires on the same model Taos - Bridgestone, Pirelli, Goodyear. VW typically uses a handful of well-known brands for OE pads for German manufactured cars. I'm not sure if Mexican builds typically use different suppliers but it is quite possible that they do, especially for a NA only vehicle.
As far as the pad change goes, the DIY is easy enough, though in theory you do need a scan tool to retract and recalibrate the parking brake. There may be some workarounds on the internet though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello,
I had my first annual service at 9600 miles and was surprised to find out my rear brakes are worn out and need to be replaced.
They are both at 3MM while front are at 11MM.
I have driven many cars over the 30 years I have had a license and never had to change brakes so early even though I drove aggressively cars such as Infiniti G35 and BMW 3 series. Earliest I had to change was at 25.000 miles.
The Taos is not a car that one can push much and I drove it super gently.
VW has a warranty on the brakes for 1 year or 12.000 miles or whichever comes first.
However, the dealership has to determine that the wearing out is due to a defect and not negligence.
They are not budging in and I am kind of stuck.
Does anybody has had a similar experience?
Not yet. I got 3300 now. I'll keep an eye on that for sure. Can most likely do them myself. My rule is, once a year change out pads. Need it or not.

·
Registered
'22 Taos SEL AWD Pure Grey
23 Posts
Going to have to do a search and see what pads are available, always had good performance from Hawk & EBC brand pads.
I installed a set of Akebono ceramic pads, front and rear, a few weeks ago. Typical brake pad install - rears were simple but the front anti-rattle clips took some convincing to get into the caliper. They're still breaking in and the bite is getting better but the dust is almost non-existent.

One thing I did notice was the inner barrel of the rear wheels was significantly dirtier than the front after only 1,500 miles. I washed and decontaminated them with IronX while they were off the car, then applied a ceramic spray sealant and it still looks shinny. I use a brush to wash the barrels when I clean, so it should stay that way.

Also used Carista to retract the rear parking break and change the throttle mode to Direct. No issues there and the change to the throttle was better than I could've imagined.. especially from a stop. Haven't driven the FWD auto but for the DSG, this is how it should've been from the factory.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Washed the Q3 this morning and noticed the rear brake pads. Or lack thereof. Down to around 3mm of material left on the outer pads at just under 14k miles.
I got a set of Duralast Gold for ~$40 at the local Autozone. I usually stick with OEM parts but it's 5 minutes away and apparently the OE pads wear out in about 15k miles. :)
Really, how bad can they be? I bet they last longer than the originals! Worth a shot for $40.

·
Registered
2022 Cornflower Blue SE DSG 4 Motion
244 Posts
OEM pads are super soft. its stops the liability of people returning the cars to the dealer for noises. Ive a 14 beetle the rear brakes use to squeal like a banshie on cold mornings.. Thought it would be amusing to call them and ask so I did and VW's answer was wait for warm days and if the problem persists let us know !. well I didnt let them know I swapped them out for ceramic and haven't had a single noise... Hummmm. Hence no dealer visits EVER

·
Registered
540 Posts
OEM pads are super soft. its stops the liability of people returning the cars to the dealer for noises. Ive a 14 beetle the rear brakes use to squeal like a banshie on cold mornings.. Thought it would be amusing to call them and ask so I did and VW's answer was wait for warm days and if the problem persists let us know !. well I didnt let them know I swapped them out for ceramic and haven't had a single noise... Hummmm. Hence no dealer visits EVER
The Duralast box says "smooth, quiet stopping" and "low dust for clean wheels". Sign me up.

·
Registered
256 Posts
OK, took my car in for 10K service today at 5350 miles. I do not believe in keeping first oil in for more than 5,000 miles. Had two things to check as well, rear brakes being one of them.

Seems I have used 1mm front and 3 mm rear brake pads.(Updated in future post) The reason, as explained, is Auto Cruise Control! When the car brakes because of slower traffic in front of you, then it uses the rear brakes ONLY. They are small pads. And this is why the rears wear so much faster than the fronts. Dealer thinks expect 20K miles on rear pads.

The other thing of interest is both my front tires, but left moreso, have a stepping on the outer tread where back of the trad block slightly lower than the front of the next tread block. Rears perfect.

I checked every newer Taos, Atlas and Tiguan in for service and they ALL had the same. So not an alignment issue for me, but how the agressive FWD (even AWD) wears the front tires. I rotated. Will see how that works out. But at leastnot just me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK, took my car in for 10K service today at 5350 miles. I do not believe in keeping first oil in for more than 5,000 miles. Had two things to check as well, rear brakes being one of them.

Seems I have used 1mm front and 3 mm rear brake pads. The reason, as explianined, is Auto Cruise Control! When the car brakes because of slower traffic in fornt of you, then it uses the rear brakes ONLY. They are small pads. And this is why the rears wear so much faster than the fronts. Dealer thinks exect 20K miles on rear pads.

The other thing of interest is both my front tires, but left moreso, have a stepping on the outer tread where back of the trad block slightly lower than the front of the next tread block. Rears perfect.

I checked every newer Taos, Atlas and Tiguan in for service and they ALL had the same. So not an alignment issue for me, but how the agressive FWD (even AWD) wears the front tires. I rotated. Will see how that works out. But at leastnot just me.
That's interesting on the rear brakes.
As for the tire wear, I'll keep an I on it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did a ton of searching and I cannot find the OEM brake pad thicknesses. I KNOW the fronts are thicker than the rears, but would love to know the actual measurements so I can compare my readings at 5K miles against a benchmark. Anyone know? I emailed VW and no reply.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts