Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Just wanted to let you all know that after 2 days at the dealership, they concluded the reason the check engine light is on is the charcoal canister. The part is on back order and they don't know how long it will take to get it.
I have been driving with the light on for 11 months now so few more would not be a deal breaker.
They thankfully replaced the rear brakes under warranty.
Hope everything else runs smooth for a while.

·
Registered
35 Posts
so this morning I washed the taos And I said before my Rear wheels get more Break dust than the front wheels I use a pressure washer with a former did the wheels first as I start it with the front wheels just like any other car when you rents we’ll just see a little brake dust running down the driveway nothing too serious but when I got to the rear wheels there was a black stream running down the driveway as if I haven’t washed these wheels in a few years a lot more than it should’ve been I don’t off-road I don’t go down gravel driveways it’s all city streets more highways someone had mentioned before that it could be the IQ Drive and all the nannies that’s causing it but mine is front wheel drive without IQ drive I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens to mine I only have 7000 miles so we’ll see what happens if they were out soon I just think it was ridiculous the amount brake dust that came out of the rear wheels

·
Registered
2022 Taos Trendline
49 Posts
Yesterday I washed the Taos for the first time at 700km. I also noticed that the rear wheels were much dirtier than the front and thought it was odd and just blew it off giving credit to it being a German vehicle. Then just now I see a post like this for the first time and now it all makes sense.

The truck that I traded in for the Taos (19 Ram 4x4 hemi crew cab) still had the original brakes at 98k and never accumulated that much dust even with the aftermarket 22” wheels.

I guess I’ll keep on how everyone plays out with this over the next 10k and maybe I’ll have to plan to have some aftermarket pads ready for when the time comes.

Thank you everyone for the contributing information in this post.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a Ford 500 that wore the rear brakes out at 17,000 miles. The brake bias was set to much to the rear and was a recall item. Bad bias is the likely culprit. Bad driving/braking habits can wear brakes out in short order. Had a 2002 Passat that still had plenty of brake pad left at 90,000 miles and it's been the same for other cars I've owned. Don't drive like a yahoo and they should last.

In this case it doesn't matter what the brake pads are. That's abnormal wear and either the bias is set incorrectly or something is causing them to be applied constantly.

·
Registered
2022 Cornflower Blue SE DSG 4 Motion
244 Posts
Are there aftermarket pads? If so, any recommended?

I , too, have waaaay too much rear dust.
get a ceramic pad. OEM are notoriously soft and give of loads of dust. The ceramic pad gives virtually none. Also I advise removing the wheels and either ceramic coating or ceramic waxing them. helps loads

·
Registered
2022 Taos SE FWD Platinum Gray
302 Posts
get a ceramic pad. OEM are notoriously soft and give of loads of dust. The ceramic pad gives virtually none. Also I advise removing the wheels and either ceramic coating or ceramic waxing them. helps loads
Going to have to do a search and see what pads are available, always had good performance from Hawk & EBC brand pads.
Too bad VW is using garbage pads on the Taos, most OEM pads at least last 40k or more miles :(

·
Registered
2022 Cornflower Blue SE DSG 4 Motion
244 Posts
Going to have to do a search and see what pads are available, always had good performance from Hawk & EBC brand pads.
Too bad VW is using garbage pads on the Taos, most OEM pads at least last 40k or more miles :(
Car is MQB based so there is a lot of stuff out there.

ECS Tuning is a good place to reference

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not going to do you any good to buy a set of brake pads. There's something wrong with the bias on the rear brakes and until that's fixed you'll just be wearing out more brake pads. Take it into the dealer and have it done right. If they know there's a problem and they've fixed a few pretty good chance they'll fix yours. They could have had a run at the factory where the brakes were misadjusted.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's not going to do you any good to buy a set of brake pads. There's something wrong with the bias on the rear brakes and until that's fixed you'll just be wearing out more brake pads. Take it into the dealer and have it done right. If they know there's a problem and they fixed a few pretty good chance they'll fix yours. They could have had a run at the factory where the brakes were misadjusted.
Different pads are very likely going to last a lot longer. VW has a long history of rear brake pads wearing out well before the fronts, going back decades. And producing lots more brake dust on the rears too. Replacement pads on older models certainly yielded 2, 3, or more times the life of the original pads. I remember a lot of complaints about the fact they squealed when you were going in reverse, so the solution was softer, quieter pads which wore out faster. I think this was in the 80s if I remember correctly.
The wear on the Taos rear pads is definitely unacceptable if they're gone at <20k miles, but I'm not sure I'd exclusively blame brake bias. It may be part of the problem. But I'm sure an aftermarket pad (ceramic maybe) would easily last twice as long or more.
If it is due to soft pad material, then that's not so bad as the rotors will likely not be significantly worn. A rear pad replacement only is pretty simple. Replacing the rotors too is a bit more complicated - some tight bolts, tight spaces, and one time use stretch bolts that you need to replace. It will be interesting to see if the wear is mostly to the pads only, or applies to the rotors too, which would support the brake bias theory.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts