Volkswagen Taos Forum banner

Taos Recall

31K views 115 replies 28 participants last post by  CRVW 
#1 ·
Just got the 'official' notice for the fuel line recall on my 2022 Taos SE FWD. Got an appointment at my dealer for Friday, and when I arrived was told that there are no parts, nor do they have the tool needed to perform the recall. I have an upcoming trip to Calif. in three weeks. The dealer did not even offer to perform the inspection to see if the parts were needed. I really had hope that VW would have learned their lesson after the TDI issues of the past. Too bad, we really like the car ( once you get over the acceleration issue that happens upon a slow turn) but it may need to go.......

#2 ·
Dude I am in the same situation. They don’t have any parts no ETA. Nothing all they say is deal with it in a nice way. If they can’t fix your car within 30 days you may be eligible for a lemon law. Don’t do the buyback they pay enough and fees they may actually start doing their due diligence and having parts available before they release vehicles

#6 ·
That isn’t how the lemon law works.

Recalls are actually exempt from the laws unless after the recall is performed the car has a problem that can’t be fixed within 3 tries.

This is a “potential” issue and no fires have been experienced in the wild. If it were a major danger vector, the recall would require the cars to be parked.

Think about how long it took (is still taking!) for the Takata airbag recall.

The Chevy Bolt recall is far worse and more dangerous than this Taos issue. And those cars are still on the road. Chevy is offering buyouts on a case by case basis, but mainly because the “fix” right now turns a 250mile car into a 150 mile car that you can’t charge overnight and can’t store in a garage, and the original recall failed to fix the issue after 9 months.

#3 ·
I am in the same boat - no tool and can not inspect. They had my car for 2 days saying the tool would be in and they still have not received it. Now I have to take it back again. Not a way to start out with a new car with 260 miles. Word of warning CALL and ask your dealership if they have tool to fix before scheduling a appointment.

#8 ·
yes I have. A few times actually. Initially when I got the car my dad instantly saw the leak from the car sitting in the driveway. Took it in and ended up getting the engine taken apart and replaced! That was 3 weeks after purchasing. Then when I got it back the car started stalling and shutting off at red lights and stop signs. Alerting me to manually restart the car all while it was in drive. Then it got worse and shut down multiple times while the car was actually moving. The scary thing is the shut down isnt quick, it turns off and starts slowing down and the brakes nor gas works. I sent it back to service ASAP and told themI didn’t want it anymore. Currently working on a buyback offer

#20 ·
Do not get the 2018 Tiguan. We have a 2021 that replaced our 2018. The 2021 is better. It may look the same, but the engine and transmission have been tweaked, the interior trim is a bit nicer, and so far, we don’t have as many little rattles and buzzes.

The Tiguan engine is a very tried and true drivetrain, not as efficient as the Taos, but has years of reliability behind it, with most of the problems knocked out of it over the years.

#21 ·
My latest email to VW:
John B
Regional Case Manager

Your recent correspondence stated I would receive an update to the status of my 2022 Taos at the close of business on14 October. This DID NOT happen and I’m at a loss for words for VW’s lack of regard for customer service. My vehicle has been at the dealer since 8 September 2021, and I find it totally unacceptable that repairs have not taken place. If I would have known this type of customer service would be provided by Volkswagen, I would have never leased this vehicle. You can be sure when the time comes to lease/purchase another Volkswagen I will think twice about that decision.

Since I am not getting any updated information from your office, please have a representative contact me by phone.

If these parts are not available, my vehicle should be replaced with an identical vehicle immediately form your inventory. Being without my leased vehicle for over thirty (30) days is not at all acceptable and I will look into remedies that pertain to this situation.

Sincerely,

#23 ·
My latest email to VW:
John B
Regional Case Manager

Your recent correspondence stated I would receive an update to the status of my 2022 Taos at the close of business on14 October. This DID NOT happen and I’m at a loss for words for VW’s lack of regard for customer service. My vehicle has been at the dealer since 8 September 2021, and I find it totally unacceptable that repairs have not taken place. If I would have known this type of customer service would be provided by Volkswagen, I would have never leased this vehicle. You can be sure when the time comes to lease/purchase another Volkswagen I will think twice about that decision.

Since I am not getting any updated information from your office, please have a representative contact me by phone.

If these parts are not available, my vehicle should be replaced with an identical vehicle immediately form your inventory. Being without my leased vehicle for over thirty (30) days is not at all acceptable and I will look into remedies that pertain to this situation.

Sincerely,
I’m in the same boat. My VW dealer in NE Ohio has had my car since 9/15 and a regional case manager was supposed to contact me yesterday with an update, but I’ve heard nothing. Contacting the dealership gets me now either.

#37 ·
I wouldn’t hold your breath to hear from a representative from VW of America. I should have heard from them last Thursday and have yet to hear from them. According to my dealership in Amherst, Ohio, they heard from the representative and are supposed to get the part in this week

#40 ·
My service advisor told me up front today that if the fuel line failed the test they would have to "send me home in something else". Thankfully it was OK.
Not getting a loaner seems unacceptable to me. Sorry to hear of the issues some of you are having getting this resolved.

#41 ·
Pretty much everything I'm reading lately about the Taos is bad, waiting on my fuel venting pump, lord knows when it will arrive at the dealer. At least I can drive my car for now, but with the way things are going who knows what may happen next.
Can't say I'm feeling good about this purchase, hopefully things will take a turn for the better as this new VW launch is off to a horrendous start I'm afraid!

#42 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean. A combination of a brand new model at the same time as global supply issues - probably not ideal.
Some encouragement - mine passed the fuel line test, got the ECU update (4Motion), and is running fine. Maybe it's the Cornflower Blue effect again... :)
Open the sunroof, ignore the check engine light, smile, be happy that you only have 1st world problems! I'm going to take mine on a decent run this week (I took a week off work!)
I have probably just cursed myself, but oh well!

#44 ·
The 1.4l engine that ours are based on (with fairly minimal changes) is pretty much bulletproof, so I don't expect major issues down the line. Fingers crossed. The rest of the mechanicals are pretty much standard VW parts (maybe the 7-speed DSG in the 4Motion is newish). That's one of the things I researched before buying, just because of the newness factor. A few teething troubles, while annoying, are not entirely unexpected. Especially when it comes to software, digital dash, MIB3, etc. It probably sucks more when your dealer is a 200 mile trip away though!
I am very fortunate to have a GTI as my second (play) car. The ultimate VW accessory, a spare car for when your primary one breaks down!
I've had VW's for most of my driving lifetime, and ultimately, for the big things, they have been pretty reliable. I think as more tech is added, they become inherently more prone to silly issues.
My '71 Beetle never threw a check engine light! 😀

#49 · (Edited)
i haven’t even been notified of a recall (it is affected when i look up the VIN) so this should be fun. i came here looking for another issue—i had a major issue less than 48 hours driving off the lot in june. the car wouldn’t accelerate, was very shaky (like it was going to die while driving), and so many lights came on i took my camera out to video record. when it was hooked up it had “multiple faults” and they ended up replacing 2 ignition coils. it was in the shop for 10 days. all was fine until today and the same thing happened—couldn’t accelerate and thought the vehicle was going to stall while driving. EPC, exhaust system malfunction, no stop/start, no lane assist and either the stop driving red light or the yellow central light (i was in a panic and it’s hard to tell the color from the video) all came on today. both times i pulled over, stopped and re/started the vehicle and was able to make it home. it will go in first thing tomorrow morning. has anyone else experienced anything similar?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.