Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Between a Kia Seltos, Nissan Qashqai, Mazda CX-30 and the Taos are my final four choices to purchase in April.

Family and I have been stong Nissan supporters. I'd like to try something German as an offshoot.

So far best bang for the buck seems to be the Seltos, but not wowed by it.
Qashqai because its familar.
Haven't tried out the CX-30 yet, but loving the idea of the 2023 Mazda CX-50.
And I took out a 4motion Trendline for a spin yesterday. Not bad. Like the feel and looks.

That's all I have for now. Just here to learn more and see what issues are going on. I would normally stay away
from first year ANYTHING, but ironically enough I could give the Taos a pass. 馃檭

Registered
Hello all!

Between a Kia Seltos, Nissan Qashqai, Mazda CX-30 and the Taos are my final four choices to purchase in April.

Family and I have been stong Nissan supporters. I'd like to try something German as an offshoot.

And I took out a 4motion Trendline for a spin yesterday. Not bad. Like the feel and looks.

That's all I have for now. Just here to learn more and see what issues are going on. I would normally stay away
from first year ANYTHING, but ironically enough I could give the Taos a pass. 馃檭
I have a Taos S 4motion. That鈥檚 the base model all wheel drive. I鈥檝e had it for 4 weeks now and absolutely live the car. Plenty of room, comfortable seats, my first CUV. Had Mazdas before this also had VWs. My last Mazda3 2021 was trouble lots of issues with the infotainment system and the rear camera. Couldn鈥檛 get the parts in from Mazda. The Mazda dealer wouldn鈥檛 help and Mazda corp wouldn鈥檛 answer phone so I would stay away from Mazda!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here ours are TRENDLINE (S), COMFORTLINE (SE) and then HIGHLINE (SEL).

From what I've seen on the build site, I'd prefer FWD overall. It is only available on S, but the S is missing a lot of things I'd like, especially for the price. Plus FWD is only available to rental companies in Canada.

SE may be the best "deal", but I'm stuck with AWD.

SEL has a lot I don't want and its overpriced. Especially annoying is that remote start is available only at this trim, and only within another package. :cautious:

Registered
Hello all!

Between the choices you mention only the Mazda CX-30 and the Taos have a 5 star NCAP rating. My decision was for the Taos since it has more space and the sunroof gives it a lot of light. In Canada, the 4motion version is perfect for the snowy days. I am really amazed at how well it handles the snow.

Registered
Between your choices, I'll take the Taos hands down. I did an SE, non sunroof with FWD (for my daughter). We looked at a lot of cars for her and felt like the Taos was the best choice. Styling was the best and I have been around water cooled VWs since the mid 90's so that makes it easier as well since I understand VW design. I was also concerned with first year, but the 1.5t is just an evolution of the EA211 engine, so not too concerned there. The 8 speed auto also drove better than a DSG (I have always driven manual VWs by the way and currently have two MK7.5 GTIs) and is a ZF gearbox which has been around for a bit. The chassis is MQB architecture, so not really "new" their either. I figure worst case scenario, something breaks and I take it in for warranty work.

Registered
22 VW Taos SE FWD, Cornflower Blue
Between your choices, I'll take the Taos hands down. I did an SE, non sunroof with FWD (for my daughter). We looked at a lot of cars for her and felt like the Taos was the best choice. Styling was the best and I have been around water cooled VWs since the mid 90's so that makes it easier as well since I understand VW design. I was also concerned with first year, but the 1.5t is just an evolution of the EA211 engine, so not too concerned there. The 8 speed auto also drove better than a DSG (I have always driven manual VWs by the way and currently have two MK7.5 GTIs) and is a ZF gearbox which has been around for a bit. The chassis is MQB architecture, so not really "new" their either. I figure worst case scenario, something breaks and I take it in for warranty work.
Just a correction, the 8 speed is an Aisin unit, which has also been around for quite a while. The ZF FWD transaxle is a 9 speed.

Registered
2022 Taos Highline Pure Grey
Between the choices you mention only the Mazda CX-30 and the Taos have a 5 star NCAP rating. My decision was for the Taos since it has more space and the sunroof gives it a lot of light. In Canada, the 4motion version is perfect for the snowy days. I am really amazed at how well it handles the snow.
I agree with amazing handling in snow. My previous four vehicles were AWD (2 Toyota, Audi, BMW) and the Taos handles the best. I鈥榤 not sure if the winter tires have anything to do with it as it鈥檚 my first time with Toyo. Previously I was always Blizzak or X- Ice, both highly rated. Either way the combo makes for excellent snow handling.

Registered
Winter tires in winter is what gives you traction on snow/ice for turning, braking, accelerating.

Winters tires on FWD will outperform AWD with all seasons.
I always laugh when people tell me they don't need winter tires because they have AWD- most people don't seem to realize that AWD only helps with forward motion, not any other kind which are arguably the more important ones.

Registered
2022 Taos Highline Pure Grey
Winter tires in winter is what gives you traction on snow/ice for turning, braking, accelerating.

Winters tires on FWD will outperform AWD with all seasons.
I agree that good winter tires on a FWD will out perform all seasons on an AWD. Taken to the next step an AWD with good winters will out perform the FWD. I鈥檝e investigated too many winter fatality collisions for people running year round on all seasons.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One still has to be mindful of road conditions regardless of vehicle configuration. Black ice can fool winters, unless they're studded and no studs allowed south of North Bay, I believe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So far my list is:

VW Taos ( comfortline with 4 motion no choice in that )

newly added, but at the bottom; Subaru Crosstrek Outdoor ( good size, priced competitively )

Kia Soul ( like this because it looks different and is only FWD and would take GT-Line, lowest price)

Nissan Qashqai (SL FWD )

I have to keep in mind of dealer network around the province as well. Like say, if I'm in Algonquin Park, is there a dealer close to me (or yet, which will be closest).

Registered
Hello all!

I would tell you to run away from the Taos. So many issues. Mechanics aren't trained for them yet.

Registered
I would tell you to run away from the Taos. So many issues. Mechanics aren't trained for them yet.
Not really any more issues than any other new model? Anecdotal but I have 6500 miles on mine and no issues. And they aren't exactly difficult to work on from what I've seen and when you look at the Jetta and Passat. Everything is pretty standard modern VW and pretty simple to work on compared to older VWs.

Registered
Parts supply, specifically for the fuel line recall, has been the biggest issue. That should be fixed now - new Taoses for sale will have the new fuel line already or will have been checked.
I had the 4Motion software update and the fuel line check done at my local dealer a few months ago in under 2 hours.
I agree with k.aoi, these are no harder to work on than any other VW. Since it is new, I am not surprised at a few issues which may be exasperated by the global parts supply issues, but to say that VW mechanics are not trained for the Taos is simply not true.

Registered
Parts supply, specifically for the fuel line recall, has been the biggest issue. That should be fixed now - new Taoses for sale will have the new fuel line already or will have been checked.
I had the 4Motion software update and the fuel line check done at my local dealer a few months ago in under 2 hours.
I agree with k.aoi, these are no harder to work on than any other VW. Since it is new, I am not surprised at a few issues which may be exasperated by the global parts supply issues, but to say that VW mechanics are not trained for the Taos is simply not true.
And right now parts supply isn't a VW or Taos issue, that's just an "in general" issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From what you know/heard, what would you say are the top 3 concerns?

This is part of my research, so it all helps.

I know of a reputable indie German car auto mechanic (VW/Audi/Porsche) I can talk to as I get closer to decision time. If he can work on it and has the diagnostics, then less dependence on the dealer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.