Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I purchased a Taos Se 4 motion in January. I love the car, but like any car it has some little things that annoy me. One is the “lag” or “delay” when accelerate. It’s real bad when the A/C is on, or taking a turn at low speeds, it falls flat on its face and then gathers itself and takes off. Anyone have any suggestions? I use normal drive mode, it’s worse in eco. Also, has anyone been able to swap out the factory speakers for after market and also added a subwoofer? Thanks again

·
Registered
609 Posts
Carista has the ability to change the setting. As does VCDS and I'm sure OBDeleven too.
Opinion is divided on the effect of this change (not just on this forum). Some swear it's night and day, others (like me) don't notice any difference.
It's in the steering module and in VCDS at least it's called "Driving Profile Switchover" I think. Carista calls it throttle response. Google it if you want to waste a few hours!
I do notice the hesitation at times, but to me it's just a quirk of the powertrain. It really doesn't bother me much, and I know the circumstances under which it might happen. I have pretty much gotten used to it and very rarely experience (or notice) it anymore.
The GTI has a DSG too and it has absolutely no hint of hesitation at any time, but then it is tuned more for performance rather than comfort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh alright. I did run “Sport” mode for awhile and it was a little better. It seems the worse in normal mode actually, eco has its moments, but normal is worse. To me it’s annoying, I’ve never owned a dsg transmission either. So I came in blindly on how they operate. The worst is when driving around town with the A/C on, it takes a few seconds to gather itself. If I give it more gas, it takes off like a bat out of hell lol it sounds dumb, but I don’t want it to be annoying for my passengers. I was hoping the transmission would get used to my driving, I’m at 5,400 miles. Other than that, I love the car!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, IMO, this “lag issue” is not the huge thing that some owners opine. The DSG has a mechatronic controller whose job it is to interpret your driving input into fast useful gear selection. It is a proven and well integrated system in many of VW’s best performing models.

How much the Taos version “hunts” for the next gear seems to be effected by the new 1.5 engine’s unique mix of fuel saving intake timing and the variable boost turbo. It’s a narrow engineering window.

I think there’s good discussion here that these events are better controlled by the driver than any one magic adjustment in the Taos driveline. The two OBD2 settings we’re mentioning make the fly by wire throttle and fly by wire power steering incrementally more direct to your input…the car is less autonomous when you make these changes.

To me, the Taos is better car with these changes but depending on your own driving style and the conditions in which you use your Taos, they may not feel as dramatic and may not change your view of how to most enjoyably drive your Taos. Direct throttle and dynamic steering ARE different than the settings with which VW delivered your car and change the input mapping being applied to the two major electrical fly-by-wire driver controls.

My take on the Taos is that it is a well executed car that approaches the sub compact SUV segment in typical VW Group fashion. It’s the Golf of the category and is perched narrowly on an engineering balance between economy, performance and the expectations of an audience that views their daily driver more as an appliance than many of the other current market segments.

Audi, BWM and Mercedes have the luxury of living at the high end of the SUV market of each model…leaving VW to the tougher job of battling the Asian auto industry on the price/value entry level front, it seems.

The Taos is German designed, production engineered in China, assembled in Mexico and targeted at a North American market niche. What could possibly go wrong :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m growing used to it day by day. My wife drove it to Maryland and back to Ohio where we live, and she loved it. She pulled in the driveway and was averaging 39mpg. When I first got it, I regretted it and wanted to trade it in. The more I drive it I accept it haha

·
Registered
70 Posts
The cheapest way to do it is to buy a compliant OBD2 bluetooth dongle and pay $10 for Carista for a month. You have to make sure the adapter is compliant, I bought one (B07Z9WS4Q7 on Amazon, no longer avaliable) for a few bucks and it works fine. Or good enough, sometimes Carista doesn't like to connect to it.

For me, Direct throttle and Dynamic steering is a GIGANTIC improvement in driving. I hated the throttle delay and this mostly fixes it. Now it's JUST turbo lag and not turbo lag AND the throttle-by-wire being stupid.

I posted a little writeup on how to add a sub somewhere on here, it was easy enough. You can just cut into the left rear speaker in the door sill and tap it for high level output and then use an L2CI or the much cheaper Blaupunkt version. I ended up just running a power wire from the battery terminal and picked up the audio in the door sill, and no remote wire was needed because the processor does auto-detect of audio to turn on it and the amp.

I'm going to swap the speakers at some point. Nobody seems to have any idea what the door speaker size is but it seems to be 6.5 round. You will need an adapter ring because vw is annoying like that. The ring bolts to the door and the speaker bolts to it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Focal has drop in kits for the VW Tharu which is essentially a Taos

·
Registered
70 Posts
Focal has drop in kits for the VW Tharu which is essentially a Taos

I looked into that and holy shit that is expensive.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm charging up my old laptop which has VCDS installed so I can try the miracle fix / driving profile switchover setting again.
I assume it was reset when they updated the ECU firmware last year for the recall.
I'm not expecting much so I probably won't be disappointed. :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well, apparently I've been driving in "direct" mode all this time, haha. Now that I think about it, there is no reason an ECU update should reset settings in the steering module.
I thought I might have set it back after noticing no difference too but evidently not.
Yeah yeah, I'll set it back to time whatever and see if it gets noticeably worse. Not today though. Too damn hot. Next weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, I purchased a Taos Se 4 motion in January. I love the car, but like any car it has some little things that annoy me. One is the “lag” or “delay” when accelerate. It’s real bad when the A/C is on, or taking a turn at low speeds, it falls flat on its face and then gathers itself and takes off. Anyone have any suggestions? I use normal drive mode, it’s worse in eco. Also, has anyone been able to swap out the factory speakers for after market and also added a subwoofer? Thanks again
Turn off assist control . My acceleration is without delay. Then again How many seconds? Does it take to please you lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
I looked into that and holy shit that is expensive.

Focal is high end stuff for home stereo speakers, too :)

I was going to upgrade my door speakers with adapter rings but as of today I might not. Apparently my phone audio equalizer affects Android Auto output and it was absolutely obliterating my music quality. Driving home was a huge improvement in audio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have posted blogs about the poor sound and bass power of Taos SE. The cheapest crppiest American car on the road ( any of them) have much better sound than a 2022 VW Taos SE. I've complained to VW, no body seems to care or are able to tell me how to get a good bass level. After owing A Polo, Golf mk7.5, Tiguan TSi I am disappointed with VW engineers for dumping such a lousy sound system on us. The cars mechanics are fine, 42 mpg is good. Just bring out a free speaker upgrade please.

·
Registered
'22 Taos SEL AWD Pure Grey
26 Posts
Change the throttle setting in OBC2 firmware to “Direct, Threshold” While you’re in there, change the steering to “Dynamic.” It will drive like a different, better, car and you will be able to enjoy all the other nice things about it.
This! I used Carista to make this change a few weeks ago and it completely fixed that numb throttle response. Especially from a stop. For the turns, I usually switch to sport before entering the turn so it'll downshift quicker in response to more throttle. I've always driven manual cars (my other car is a manual) so I'm used to doing something before a turn.
Going to give Dynamic steering a try next but the throttle setting is absolutely worth it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts