Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my Taos SEL. So many settings. And I'm a computer geek and find many of them confusing. For example, tried Sport mode from Normal and had virtually no acceleration. And I know all of those are customizable.

And I have Carista though have not plugged in to the Taos yet.

So what have you found? What combinations for settings for ANYTHING Taos and especially Carista have worked for you?

(and just a note, my manual sales keyless entry is one click and keyless lock is two. Both on my car are one. I prefer that. Do not know if it is a setting or changed since the manual.)

·
Registered
223 Posts
cool question but some time spent to research what the intent is.... It is a very common misconception that sport mode gives higher acceleration at WOT. FYI, I've not tried carista yet but I can explain some programing strategies.

While there are many differences, I'll boil this down to the major differences.

Normal mode... lets just consider it as 'average use'
Sport mode... forces the shifts at higher points. the main purpose is in hilly driving with corners. in normal mode the car will keep RPM lower while you slow for a corner and you are forced to press gas pedal to get an upshift to accelerate out of the corner. It also shifts at later points to allow more RPM between gears.
Eco mode... allows the transmission to coast while no gas pedal is pressed. like when going down hills. while this is good in many cases like most driving conditions, this is very bad in mountain driving where you need to brake more.

none of these modes means the car has greater acceleration and it all depends on throttle position. if you mash the pedal down, normal and sport are equal because demand overrides it. try the difference at part throttle.

The main advantage of sport relating to acceleration in my mind. if you have partial throttle position and you are waiting to pass somebody, the normal mode will have up shifted due to low throttle demand. then when you are ready to pass, you need to force a downshift and thus turbo spin up to get going again. Sport mode would leave the car in the higher RPM range with turbo spun up and passing would be quicker to do. also see former note about corners and slowing going into corners and accelerating out of them. If you were driving a manual sport car, you'd enter the corner in one gear with relatively high RPM, slow a bit and then accelerate out with a reasonably high RPM remaining after slowing for the corner.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think it is the same thing, just a different way to get at it. the S mode on the shifter is available on all DSG where the selective modes tends to be on the high end SEL. The AWD comes in all trims and AWD is DSG. so on "S" and "SE" models you'd only have the shifter I think. not 100% on SE not having the dial. Thinking further.. the regular trans in the FWD probably also has S on shifter

There are other smaller differences in the way these react and I think there are differences in the AWD engagement in snow mode. off road also has implications for hill decent differences.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sport Mode changes the transmission setting, the steering setting (I think it makes it a little tighter - more feedback?), and "ACC" which I assume is the Adaptive Cruise Control. Correct me if I'm wrong about that.
"S" on the shifter only changes the transmission to Sport Mode.
"Custom Mode" lets you pick each of the 3 settings individually.
The dial for driving modes comes with AWD. (I think AWD S trim has it - SE and SEL definitely do)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, thanks. Will play with it all.

Next Question :)

I have found the manual incorrect on several things. Would appreciate checking this one to see if its manual or I have small issue.

My lumbar pushes out and in, but not up or down. Manual says it should. Is mine defective or is the manual incorrect? Could someone check theirs please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 SEL 4Motion Cornflower Blue
95 Posts
And one more: Does you center console armrest stay in any position other than tilted down slightly?
Technically it's supposed to be flat, but yes, just that one setting. Too bad too, my previous Jetta had little feet you could pop out to raise up the front a little bit (kinda like keyboard legs)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Technically it's supposed to be flat, but yes, just that one setting. Too bad too, my previous Jetta had little feet you could pop out to raise up the front a little bit (kinda like keyboard legs)
Flat would be ok. Mine is tilting down a bit. Will try some rubber bumpers.

And lumbar definitely does not raise or lower. VERY disappointing.

I am sure the '23 will have motorized folding mirrors, full lumbar, passenger electric seat, auto closing hatch, solid black leather interior. But I could not wait :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, took three tries to get the Compass in the mirror working right. I think ts hard to tell what zone you are in on the tiny map.

BUT...

For the life of me cannot get the passenger mirror tilt in reverse to work. And trying for for Staple Office Supplies gets me an address three states west of me for a street, not store. So I am doing domething wrong with both right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.