Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my all black 2022 Taos SEL should be arriving this week, and I am super excited! Ive been reading this forum for the past 6-8 weeks and appreciate everyones honesty and joy with their Taos. I have two questions. One has anyone went through with putting a hitch on? I just need it to add a bike rack since I dont want a roof rack. If so, could you provide pictures? I was told that trimming part if the rear bumper would be needed. Second one, ambient lighting. My wife has a 2022 Tiguan SEL and I noticed she has nearly triple the amount of colors offered vs. the Taos. I was told by one salesman there is hack to get more but we didnt end up buying our VWs from him so I dont think he is willing to help anymore. I looked on youtube and couldnt find anything but thought maybe this group would know. Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm about to purchase a hitch for mine. if you look at the directions for the hitch, they have photos. like the drawtite model. the directions will vary for each hitch design to some degree

·
Registered
22 VW Taos SE FWD, Cornflower Blue
178 Posts
I have the 3500lb Draw-tite hitch sitting on my back porch, just waiting for some warm weather to install it- the instructions seem straightforward. Getting the wiring module installed for trailer lights looks like it's going to be more annoying than installing the hitch itself.

·
Registered
178 Posts
seeing as you'll damage the rest of your taos with towing, don't bother with the lights!
This is just hilariously false- the lack of tow rating is 1000% for legal reasons and to push people to buy the Atlas. There is absolutely no mechanical, technical, or physical reason towing would "Damage the car". Tow ratings are bullshit nearly 100% of the time and do not reflect reality. The numbers to look at are GAWR and total payload (and tongue weight), along with vehicle weight compared to the trailer- as well as if the trailer is braked or not.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is just hilariously false- the lack of tow rating is 1000% for legal reasons and to push people to buy the Atlas. There is absolutely no mechanical, technical, or physical reason towing would "Damage the car". Tow ratings are bullshit nearly 100% of the time and do not reflect reality. The numbers to look at are GAWR and total payload (and tongue weight), along with vehicle weight compared to the trailer- as well as if the trailer is braked or not.
There are absolutely physical reasons not all venhicles can tow and it isn't for legal reasons. Comonent design assumes certain weights, there is also a relationship between car weight+ trailer weight and overall stability.

I've known people that damaged their vehicles by going over the tow rating (including going above zero). the GAWR is only 50# higher than 1/2 the car gross weight, not enough remaining for towing. most damage happens to the transmission or brakes by going over tow design limits but it can end with being flipped over on the road. this will of course be less likely if you drive on flat land.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There are absolutely physical reasons not all venhicles can tow and it isn't for legal reasons. Comonent design assumes certain weights, there is also a relationship between car weight+ trailer weight and overall stability.

I've known people that damaged their vehicles by going over the tow rating (including going above zero). the GAWR is only 50# higher than 1/2 the car gross weight, not enough remaining for towing. most damage happens to the transmission or brakes by going over tow design limits but it can end with being flipped over on the road. this will of course be less likely if you drive on flat land.
The Taos is identical structurally and chassis-wise to the SEAT Ateca and Skoda Karoq, both of which are rated to tow over 3,000lb in Europe with a typical European tongue weight. The engine is also the same, the only difference is the transmission in the FWD model which is a traditional automatic vs the DSG in the Karoq/Ateca- and the 8 speed does have a transmission cooler. Towing 2000-2500lb with the Taos with a typical 10% tongue weight is more than doable as long as you don't go ham on the payload. Legal reasons and the desire to push people to buy the higher profit vehicles like the Atlas are absolutely the primary reasons you don't see cars rated to tow in the US despite identical models being rated to tow pretty decent numbers in Europe or Asia. And the lack of laws in the US governing tow speed. In Europe you are limited to around 50mph when towing, no such laws exist in the US in general except California. US tow ratings are "lowest common denominator" to cater to the idiots that want to tow at 80mph. The Taos is a lifted, lengthened Golf. Here is a Golf doing a towing test including emergency maneuvers. You want to tell me the US model of the Taos is built weaker structurally than the European Golf? The ability to safely tow is down to proper loading and not driving like an idiot. Don't speed, downshift instead of riding brakes, keep an eye on coolant and trans temps with an OBD2 monitor.

Here's a towing test of the Ateca which is the exact same vehicle as the Taos with sheetmetal changes.

I once towed a 3500lb Uhaul 6x12 trailer with a 2010 Ford Escape V6. That vehicle is shorter than the Taos with worse brakes. Smaller front discs, rear drums. The payload is only marginally higher than the Taos, and still based on a car platform. And that vehicle is rated for 3500lb. The current Escape with the 1.5T is rated for 2000lb as well. VWoA has always been extremely conservative with tow ratings and now they just dont' bother to rate for most vehicles.

·
Registered
2022 SEL 4Motion Cornflower Blue
95 Posts
US tow ratings are "lowest common denominator" to cater to the idiots that want to tow at 80mph. The ability to safely tow is down to proper loading and not driving like an idiot. Don't speed, downshift instead of riding brakes, keep an eye on coolant and trans temps with an OBD2 monitor.
Much could be said about driving in general, and add "look out for that moron snapchatting while eating a burger at 80mph)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't want to mess mine up but I would like to k it if I can tow a small pop up camper.
Yes, it will tow it just fine as long as you're under 1500-2000lb. I am towing my jetski which is around 1000-1100lb with a full tank of fuel and the trailer with no problems whatsoever. When I got my last oil change I asked the dealer and they said they don't care if it has a hitch on it for warranty claims at all.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Boat trailer Vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, it will tow it just fine as long as you're under 1500-2000lb. I am towing my jetski which is around 1000-1100lb with a full tank of fuel and the trailer with no problems whatsoever. When I got my last oil change I asked the dealer and they said they don't care if it has a hitch on it for warranty claims at all.
View attachment 1163
Thanks for the info. I have the same color SE AWD here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts