Volkswagen Taos Forum banner

New ECU software update

18K views 86 replies 27 participants last post by  Pzookey 
#1 ·
#3 ·
There was also a software update for the FWD version- my car was just at the dealer getting the charcoal canister replaced and oil changed and they also did an ECM update and also replaced a power relay for the ECM under a VW bulletin at the same time.

#6 ·
I did the update to my Taos today during the 10k service. Software update 24IR , and the engine/trans software update as well. The Taos drives immensely better. Like it should have from the beginning. Almost like waking up from a bad dream to realize how good it really is.

#10 ·
Not sure if it's a dealer only update. But the Taos drives like a dream now. It feels like it coasts better, shifts smoother, less natural engine braking. Smooth on the power, and when it shifts thru the lower gears it doesn't "fall off" and make you mash the pedal down. Downshifts are smoother, and the clutch (DSG) engages sooner. But I do have the throttle updated to Direct (Carista). And I'm driving in 'D' now, I don't need to drive in 'S'. My gut tells me I'll be getting better fuel economy.

#14 ·
Just emailed my dealer and indeed, ECU updates. Came out Nov 10th. Surprised no one notified me. Not VW, not the dealer. Glad to learn of it here.

Will let you know how it goes. Would be nice if it was on a thumb drive and I could do it, but its ok. Anyone know how long it actually takes?

#17 ·
It doesn't show up for me, and when I called the dealer yesterday, they just said no open recalls or service campaigns.
I would expect it to show up as a service campaign, but as the dealer said, they may only actually push it to VINs in stages to avoid a rush.
From what I've seen online it is all 2022 1.5l. I have an SE 4Motion so I would assume the same update would apply to me.

#19 · (Edited)
I stopped at the dealer today to ask about it and they read off the whole recall and scheduled me for 12/16 to update. Supposedly fixes too frequent and false check engine lights, fueling issue, torque issue between 1200-2000RPM and throttle delay from takeoff. I'm actually excited to start driving this piece of crap again!

#20 ·
I stopped at the dealer today to ask about it and they read off the whole recall and scheduled me for 12/9 to update. Supposedly fixes too frequent and false check engine lights, fueling issue, torque issue between 1200-2000RPM and throttle delay from takeoff. I'm actually excited to start driving this piece of crap again!
Of course, my Carista arrived today and now there is a fix from the dealer. It has only been 1.5 years since they released the Taos and has been a complaint from the very beginning.

#27 ·
So it seems that all Taos would have this update available?
Looking at this recall link
It shows no recalls for my VIN, does the dealer have recall data not available to the general public? Just wanted to know how to set this up w/ the dealer since it doesn't show any current recalls or updates for out Taos.
TIA

#31 ·
This isi interesting:

What does OBD-II fault code P2421 mean?
OBD-II Code Powertrain Control Module (PCM) failure is defined as a Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Stuck Open
The evaporative control (EVAP) system captures any fuel vapors from the fuel tank and sends them through the vehicle's intake to be burned in the normal combustion process. The EVAP Vent Valve allows fresh air to enter the EVAP system so it is not under a constant vacuum. When the engine control module (PCM) detects the evap system is venting when it should not, it will set code P2421.

I did not have that issue, but shows it on the work order from dealer. This dealer might be wrong. I am not sure this is related. Will Google further.

#33 ·
I did my 24IR software update on Dec 7 and I can confirm the car drives better. It's not a recall, just an update. VW would never acknowledge how bad it was with a worldwide campaign (recall), but have quietly made the fix available. You'd need access to ELSA to run your vin# (VW Service Advisor does this). There is an ecu and transmission software update as well, along with the 24IR.

#50 ·
Anyone on here that works for a dealer that can confirm? Just scheduled my 10k service and requested the 24IR update and they said nothing is available for my 22 SEL with that number. Is there something else I need to ask for to get them to do it? I'm really frustrated with the drive ability and want to keep this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.