Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The screen on our se Taos went blank (black) all of the sudden. Phone still connects and I’m able to call but the screen is black!! Is there a screen off feature or dimable or something like that? It seems way premature to have an issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugggg. First vw I’ve ever purchased off on the wrong foot. Next appointment is in three weeks!!! Hope this is not a sign.

·
Registered
124 Posts
you can have a bad head unit in any brand. And this MIB3 system is buggy. It might just require a reflash to latest software or firmware.

Your dealer making you wait 3 weeks is lame. I guess I am lucky there are 3 dealers within 10 miles if me that have to compete for service business.
With the vehicle running , you could try holding in the power button knob on the left side of the screen for about 10 seconds and that will force the system to reboot itself.
Worth a try. But considering it happens the next day (I assume) it’s already restarting itself and still happening

·
Registered
111 Posts
Interesting. My old Tiguan would occasionally do that. Always came back after a restart (of the car) though. Different system I know but still curious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after a couple of hours and a couple of short trips (the screen is back on)?? What’s going on? I’ll keep my appointment in three weeks in case it keeps acting up....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well after a couple of hours and a couple of short trips (the screen is back on)?? What’s going on? I’ll keep my appointment in three weeks in case it keeps acting up....
Haha, yes that sounds familiar. Sounds like they may have re-used some old buggy software!
Glad it's back though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had assumed you asked after a day passing.

The system doesn’t fully restart until15-30 minutes after engine off. Until then it’s in some form of sleep instead. If it gets stuck booting up, that sleep can last longer.

I would suggest resetting the system to factory defaults and starting over.

I thought that VW systems were buggy until I rented a Chrysler Pacifica for 3 weeks. It’s even more buggy than MIB3. Though the wider screen was nice for carplay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha, yes that sounds familiar. Sounds like they may have re-used some old buggy software!
Glad it's back though.
Not sure what to think, well I guess I’ll wait and see what happens. Thanks All
I had assumed you asked after a day passing.

The system doesn’t fully restart until15-30 minutes after engine off. Until then it’s in some form of sleep instead. If it gets stuck booting up, that sleep can last longer.

I would suggest resetting the system to factory defaults and starting over.

I thought that VW systems were buggy until I rented a Chrysler Pacifica for 3 weeks. It’s even more buggy than MIB3. Though the wider screen was nice for carplay.
thanks for the tip

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought I read in another post somewhere that VW released a software update for the MIB3 infotainment system to fix these blank screen issues. Should be an easy update for dealer to apply but’s sucks that they are making you wait so long for an appointment.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I thought I read in another post somewhere that VW released a software update for the MIB3 infotainment system to fix these blank screen issues. Should be an easy update for dealer to apply but’s sucks that they are making you wait so long for an appointment.
So funny, after responding to the thread, started my 2021 Tiguan SE with MIB3 and got the black screen. Even backup camera blank. Holding down power until I got the clock seemed to work. The system then rebooted, and after a bit all functions were back up.

Same happened second day owning my Jetta SEL with MIB3+Nav but didn’t know about the holding the power button down, so had to try turning car off and waiting 30 minutes, which also worked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts