Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Has to do with what they used to certify it.

VW used to require premium like MB or BMW, and it was a complaint of a hidden cost of owning a VW. So VW started certifying the cars for emissions with regular in the USA.

side note: I took euro delivery of a Mercedes C280 in 2005 and I had to sign an agreement that said that while I was allowed to use 87 while in Europe, I understood that I MUST use 91+ when I register the car in the USA.

·
Registered
2022 Cornflower Blue SE DSG 4 Motion
142 Posts
I use premium or e85 in my tuned cars and regular in the Taos. I actually like the fact I can use regular.

unless you have modified the car use whatever it tells you to. Simple . Adding premium is a waste of money

·
Registered
260 Posts
I use premium or e85 in my tuned cars and regular in the Taos. I actually like the fact I can use regular.

unless you have modified the car use whatever it tells you to. Simple . Adding premium is a waste of money
Modern VW engines perform better with higher octane according to VW claims. Full hp numbers are achieved with premium fuel.

·
Registered
260 Posts
No doubt. You may push your foot a tad more once a day.

VW makes sure to mention that premium gives max power in the GTI literature and GLI literature but they don’t make a point of it in the 1.4/1.5l literature so maybe it’s insignificant or not even a thing for those engines.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have used both 87 and 91 and maybe is just me but while using 91 I notice the turbo lag reduces a bit, but it might be just a perception.

Anyway I’m looking to buy a Carista to improve throttle response.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I might just fill up with premium ethanol free next time for grins and see if I notice any difference. It's not like I'm driving much anyway just now so I can splurge for a tankful. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I might just fill up with premium ethanol free next time for grins and see if I notice any difference. It's not like I'm driving much anyway just now so I can splurge for a tankful. :)
I believe I do feel a little less oomph on a cold engine starting uphill on this tank of 87, when I usually run an 89/91 mix. I was wondering what might be different this week. Gas was so expensive I felt like I could save a few with 87 this time.

I have a Jetta but it’s basically the same engine.

If you are going to notice a difference at all it will be at the extremes of engine operation such as cold running, very hot weather and open throttle acceleration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts