Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good news. I downloaded the Beta 21.7.1 version and updated the interface firmware and it is now working.
Download the Beta and when you first run it up and select "Options" it should launch VCIConfig and prompt you to update the firmware. Once that is complete set the interface channel to Beta, save the connection options, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Which would be better for the casual user? Carista or the Ross Tech? Changing the throttle response seems like the #1 thing I would like to do. There seems to be some sort of throttle lag, its not turbo lag but you press the pedal for say medium acceleration and it does nothing until suddenly it takes off...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Which would be better for the casual user? Carista or the Ross Tech? Changing the throttle response seems like the #1 thing I would like to do. There seems to be some sort of throttle lag, its not turbo lag but you press the pedal for say medium acceleration and it does nothing until suddenly it takes off...
I've never tried Carista so I will let others speak as to its abilities. It looks like it is cheaper to get into but a subscription is required to unlock all the features. Might be good if you are more of a phone app type of person.
VCDS will cost more up front but once you buy the interface (which includes the license) the software and all updates are free. There is also a good online community where you can post questions etc. VCDS can do pretty much anything a dealer can do (I'm sure there might be a few limitations) - it is unlikely that you will want to do something that it can't do. As such, there is a little bit of a learning curve, but it's not too difficult.
I will look tonight and see if I can find the throttle response adaptation in VCDS.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Which would be better for the casual user? Carista or the Ross Tech?
IMHO, Carista or OBDEleven is hands down better for the casual user. If you're just looking for something like activating Mirror Dip, or keyfob window roll down, or pulling a code, those devices would meet your needs. If you're looking for advanced component level diagnostics, powerful graphing, tweaking without having to buy credits to change features on an off....

·
Registered
191 Posts
IMHO, Carista or OBDEleven is hands down better for the casual user. If you're just looking for something like activating Mirror Dip, or keyfob window roll down, or pulling a code, those devices would meet your needs. If you're looking for advanced component level diagnostics, powerful graphing, tweaking without having to buy credits to change features on an off....
I looked into Carista and OBDEleven a bit more and this seems like good advice. I've had VCDS for so long that I haven't kept up with the alternatives!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We picked up our TAOS Pure Grey SE 3 weeks ago. After plugging in my OBD dongle and looking at features in Carista, I stumbled on the Throttle Response section and flipped it from “gradual, controlled by time’’ to “direct, controlled by threshold”. Totally changed the driving of this little beast, you can really feel its torque now. Wife was apprehensive at first but after 2 weeks I asked her if she wants me to flip it back she responded with a grin and a Hell to the No.
Read more about it here

Yesterday I added a dashcam as well since it's crazy out here in So Cal with people running reds and speeding where they shouldn't be.
I would think that there is sufficient throttle response concerns that VW might publish a service bulletin that would provide for the dealers changing the throttle response criteria based on customer response under warranty? Does anyone here have the ability to search factory bulletins? I am not looking forward to spending $200 plus to correct this issue, even though it might be nice to have the interface available for other functions if needed. We took delivery two weeks ago on our new Taos SE FWD, and the throttle response is driving me crazy. This is my first experience owning a VW. I taught Toyota systems for the past ten years so the VW systems are a little different.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
How was the dash cam install for you? Did you end up running the wiring down the pillar over to the fuse box and an add-a-fuse?

Been a bit nervous to take the pillar trim, but seems like it should be similar to the Tiguan and other VWs.
The dash cam went smooth. I didn’t remove the pillar trim. I tucked in the headliner up front squeezed across the pillar headliner and ran it down the pillar behind the weatherstrip. Then removed the passenger cover to the dash and tricycle the wiring behind the glovebox and squeezed it the trim along the dash to the 12v. I’ll take pics later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I bought From Ross tech years ago when I had a Corrado and needed a system to talk to it (yes I have the 2x2 cables for older Dubs). I bought Carista back when they offered everything for $20. Now it’s a subscription service and would probably go with OBDELEVEN as the price includes as far as I know. For causal that’s probably your best route.

Ross tech is a great investment and with A’s mans Dubs in the family and friends it has truly paid for itself.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Another ex-Corrao owner! 😀
Well, I tried the "Throttle response" adaptation, which is called "Driving Mode Switchover" in VCDS. I was highly skeptical and wasn't disappointed. No difference, normal or sport.
I will leave it set to Direct whatever and try it again tomorrow. Sometimes these things take a long time to "take". When I did the single side parking lights on my GTI it did not work right away - took an hour or so before it started working. I know people who have had to wait overnight... seems odd but there you go.
I would try it later tonight but I will probably not be in a fit state to drive in an hour or 2... 🍺

·
Registered
30 Posts
We picked up our TAOS Pure Grey SE 3 weeks ago. After plugging in my OBD dongle and looking at features in Carista, I stumbled on the Throttle Response section and flipped it from “gradual, controlled by time’’ to “direct, controlled by threshold”. Totally changed the driving of this little beast, you can really feel its torque now. Wife was apprehensive at first but after 2 weeks I asked her if she wants me to flip it back she responded with a grin and a Hell to the No.
Read more about it here

Yesterday I added a dashcam as well since it's crazy out here in So Cal with people running reds and speeding where they shouldn't be.
Where did you find the throttle response? I Plugged in my Carista Dongle and looked through modifications in the app--not seeing it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ll need to check it later tonight as I’m not with it.

I found it. Seems that if I pop the hood, there are several more options that show up. It was under engine and chassis I believe. Changed the throttle response setting...a very good and noticeable difference!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I found it. Seems that if I pop the hood, there are several more options that show up. It was under engine and chassis I believe. Changed the throttle response setting...a very good and noticeable difference!
Glad you found it. I had left my obd dongle at a friends and couldn’t get it yesterday. Yes the hood makes a difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad you found it. I had left my obd dongle at a friends and couldn’t get it yesterday. Yes the hood makes a difference.

Quick question I have a carista as well used it but see no options to change throttle response. I have not bought a plan yet is that why I don’t see it I see s few options to change tho

21 - 40 of 69 Posts