Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Do you find your Taos suspension super stiff? I took delivery of my White Taos SE AWD before the New Year and had realized that my ride is super stiff during these two weeks of using it.

I came from a 2015 Subaru Forester, which had a stiff suspension, and I loved it. But when I drive the Taos, it feels like there are so many unnecessary side-to-side movements. When the road is just a little not even, the car wants to throw me up like I'm off-roading. It feels like the suspension isn't working.

I wonder if any of you have experienced this. Should I go back to the dealer and let them check it out?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'd guess there is no issue. German vehicles have a stiffer and more precise suspension than most out there and you 'feel' lots of the road which gives good understanding of driving the surface. Sorry but forester is not stiff at all in the scope of cars out there. they are not soft either but they appear stiff vs most average options out there

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd guess there is no issue. German vehicles have a stiffer and more precise suspension than most out there and you 'feel' lots of the road which gives good understanding of driving the surface. Sorry but forester is not stiff at all in the scope of cars out there. they are not soft either but they appear stiff vs most average options out there
Thanks! This is my first VW so I'm probably just not familiar. Just want to make sure it's not an issue

·
Registered
2022 Taos Highline Pure Grey
153 Posts
Hi All,

Do you find your Taos suspension super stiff? I took delivery of my White Taos SE AWD before the New Year and had realized that my ride is super stiff during these two weeks of using it.

I came from a 2015 Subaru Forester, which had a stiff suspension, and I loved it. But when I drive the Taos, it feels like there are so many unnecessary side-to-side movements. When the road is just a little not even, the car wants to throw me up like I'm off-roading. It feels like the suspension isn't working.

I wonder if any of you have experienced this. Should I go back to the dealer and let them check it out?
I have no complaints with my suspension. There’s no harm in mentioning your concerns to your dealer when you take it in for service. They’ll test drive and either identify an issue or advise you it drives the same as other Taos do.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah, certainly mention it to the dealer next time if you want to have them test t. no harm in that. It should also be considered for discussion, the FWD and AWD have different rear suspensions. we drove them both and liked the firmer AWD suspension.

a side to side motion can be the road also. concrete surface for example generates this with the grooves. Tire pressure is also a contributor. it should be noted that this car doesn't use the old time standard of 32psi in the tires, if that is the amount set, it could represent as loose sidewall feel. Always check the sticker in the drivers door for PSI requirements in any car. my SEL AWD 19" is 45psi I think and that is a large difference from 32.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

I agree worth going to the dealership to make sure it is okay. They should be willing to lift the vehicle and look over it, along with a test drive to confirm.

I will also agree the suspension setup in VWs is normally going to be on the sporty side. It could be worth checking tire pressure too. Too high could cause a worse ride.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree worth going to the dealership to make sure it is okay. They should be willing to lift the vehicle and look over it, along with a test drive to confirm.

I will also agree the suspension setup in VWs is normally going to be on the sporty side. It could be worth checking tire pressure too. Too high could cause a worse ride.
Oh, you reminded me that after I took delivery and drove home, I checked the tire pressure. They pumped all four tires to around 45 psi while the recommended is 36. I lowered them immediately. Don't get me wrong. I love love love how the Taos go through corners and bumps - one of the main reasons I made my decision to purchase during the test drive, especially not knowing anything about VWs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, certainly mention it to the dealer next time if you want to have them test t. no harm in that. It should also be considered for discussion, the FWD and AWD have different rear suspensions. we drove them both and liked the firmer AWD suspension.

a side to side motion can be the road also. concrete surface for example generates this with the grooves. Tire pressure is also a contributor. it should be noted that this car doesn't use the old time standard of 32psi in the tires, if that is the amount set, it could represent as loose sidewall feel. Always check the sticker in the drivers door for PSI requirements in any car. my SEL AWD 19" is 45psi I think and that is a large difference from 32.
Wait, I believe my door sticker recommended 36 psi. My tires came with 45 psi and I lowered them! I might be a fool and misread the sticker. I'll double-check today. If that's the case, I'll be so pissed at myself lol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I went for a drive today and I was reminded of another question. Seeing as you mentioned side-to-side motion I was wondering if you had Lane control turned on because that can cause the car to suddenly turn back into the center of the lane if you get too close to what it detects as the edge maybe that's a side-to-side motion

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went for a drive today and I was reminded of another question. Seeing as you mentioned side-to-side motion I was wondering if you had Lane control turned on because that can cause the car to suddenly turn back into the center of the lane if you get too close to what it detects as the edge maybe that's a side-to-side motion
Good point! But I don't have the lane departure assist. I didn't opt for the IQ.Drive.

I drove the car to run some errands today. After reading your comment about how they focus on the feedback from the road, I think I get why it feels certain ways. I will still let the dealer check it out, and ask them to set the tire pressure right, just to be safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,

I'd go back to the dealer and test drive another AWD to see if the ride is the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brand. And model. It matters.

People often blame the car when it’s the high efficiency and sometimes cheap tires that the manufacturer sticks on there that cause a lot of the issues.
I have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. I have no idea brand new cars would come with different tires. I'm not familiar with the tire models. Is this a good one?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just want to follow up on the topic. All in all, it's not an issue: I'm just not familiar with the way a VW drives, coming from mainly Japanese brand cars in my family. Thank you all for joining the conversation!

I went to the dealership and they inspected the car. The technician took me to a test drive, and we went through a couple of things. I was right on the tire pressure, though! It was a bit higher than it should be.

Knowing there isn't an issue, I feel more confident driving the Taos, and I think I can appreciate the harder suspension a little more now. I absolutely enjoy how it feels going through corners and bumps.

Thanks again for helping me resolve this "issue." I hope you all enjoy your cars!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.