Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
FWD SEL / Cornflower Blue
71 Posts
Basically a CUV is an SUV housing built on a car frame, rather than a truck frame. In other words, the frame and the body are one part in a CUV, whereas an SUV is a body mounted on a frame. CUVs are basically big and tall station wagons.

CUVs are by far more popular these days due to their handling, efficiency, and ride quality characteristics.

As far as I'm aware, VW does not produce any vehicles technically considered SUVs, even the larger models like the Tiguan or Atlas—those are all unibody construction, not truck frames.

In consumer lingo, often SUV is frequently used to describe a "big utility vehicle" regardless of the type of construction, but that's not the technical definition, and there's no agreed-upon definition of what makes something "crossover sized" vs "SUV sized." Although consumers use it interchangeably, it technically just depends on how it's constructed.

A lot of folks credit the Toyota RAV4 for making CUV, as a manufacturing style, popular with consumers as it provided the space and ride height of an SUV, but with the handling of a car. I believe technically the first one was the '79 AMC Eagle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically a CUV is an SUV housing built on a car frame, rather than a truck frame. In other words, the frame and the body are one part in a CUV, whereas an SUV is a body mounted on a frame. CUVs are far more popular these days.

As far as I'm aware, VW does not produce any vehicles technically considered SUVs, even the larger models like the Tiguan or Atlas.

In consumer lingo, often SUV is used to describe "big CUV" but that's not the technical definition.

A lot of folks credit the Toyota RAV4 for making CUV, as a manufacturing style, popular with consumers as it provided the space and ride height of an SUV, but with the handling of a car. I believe technically the first one was the '79 AMC Eagle.
Ok so the Taos is a CUV. What frame was it built on? Was it the Golf? Do you know?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok so the Taos is a CUV. What frame was it built on? Was it the Golf? Do you know?
So the whole idea is that the body and frame are the same in a CUV, all manufactured as one big piece of metal.

Then there's the idea of "platform" which is a shared set of design, manufacturing, and engineering principles. I believe the Taos is based on the "A series" platform which is also shared with the Golf/Jetta/Q3/Tiguan and quite a few others within the VWAG group.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the whole idea is that the body and frame are the same in a CUV, all manufactured as one big piece of metal.

Then there's the idea of "platform" which is a shared set of design, manufacturing, and engineering principles. I believe the Taos is based on the "A series" platform which is also shared with the Golf/Jetta/Q3/Tiguan and quite a few others within the VWAG group.
Interesting. You really know your stuff. Well whichever it’s based on ai love ❤ my Taos. I’ve only had it for three weeks and had the N80 valve go bad — still waiting for that part. But it could be worse in a new model. I have the base design S which is fine with me. The gray one. Which one do you have?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interesting. You really know your stuff. Well whichever it’s based on ai love ❤ my Taos. I’ve only had it for three weeks and had the N80 valve go bad — still waiting for that part. But it could be worse in a new model. I have the base design S which is fine with me. The gray one. Which one do you have?
My dad was a race car driver and my brother a mechanic so I nerd out about cars. I've got the Cornflower Blue SEL / FWD. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dad was a race car driver and my brother a mechanic so I nerd out about cars. I've got the Cornflower Blue SEL / FWD. :)
Nice! Oh I forgot to say mine is the 4motion one. I like watching those car shows and like cars but can never afford to get what I like. I got rid of my 2021 Mazda 3 loaded because of parts issues that the dealer wouldn’t stand behind and Mazda Corp wouldn’t pickup the phone. I couldn’t take it anymore. So more bells and whistles for me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice! Oh I forgot to say mine is the 4motion one. I like watching those car shows and like cars but can never afford to get what I like. I got rid of my 2021 Mazda 3 loaded because of parts issues that the dealer wouldn’t stand behind and Mazda Corp wouldn’t pickup the phone. I couldn’t take it anymore. So more bells and whistles for me.
no more bells and whistles

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you enjoy car shows, you might enjoy the Donut Media YouTube channel. One of my faves :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts