Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2022 Taos in April and have already hit 11099 miles. I have the top model and I noticed the cooled seats don’t work? Anyone that has cooled seats can you tell me are they really cold? The heat element works in the seats. I thought maybe I was not sure how cooled seats work?

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's not the same effect as heated seats, those are conduction by heating wires. Ventilated seats are blown air colder via ac. Blown air takes longer to feel effects and is impacted more by what you wear.

Long story short, mine works fine

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is correct... my SE does not have the fans... can someone who has them look at their location in reference to the floor heat ducts... if you put the A/C on, the flow to the floor instead of the dash, & the seat fans on... does the combination help cool the seat?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe it has been posted that VW calls these "ventillated seats" not "cooled seats".
The VW salesman called them cooled seats so that’s why I called it that. This dealership fired so many salesman it’s possible who helped he didn’t know much. Thanks for letting me know. So when I complain to the dealership I say it correctly.

·
Registered
219 Posts
its mistake to compare another vendor's implementation of a similar option to compre to what VW intended... I feel like mine does work, its more subtile. I have turned it down because I got cold, which is a massive statement because it doesn't usually happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My daughter and I both have a Taos. I found her ventilated seats to work much better. I did drive hers a couple of months ago when it was cooler outside though. I’m going to investigate further, but I find that mine don’t work as well thus far.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My daughter and I both have a Taos. I found her ventilated seats to work much better. I did drive hers a couple of months ago when it was cooler outside though. I’m going to investigate further, but I find that mine don’t work as well thus far.
Let us know. Mine works so poorly and others seem to feel theirs is much better. Would be good to know if you see a difference between the two.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The only time I can feel it is if It's warm outside and and I've exerted myself enough to have a slightly moist back and then the cooling effect is more obvious.
And you feel it on your back rather than legs?

Yesterday was 92 degrees Obviously warmer than that in the car. I tried both seats even though passenger unoccupied. I tried with air directed low and high though very little cold air seemed to be directed low. Both fan were blowing. Neither seat felt cool nor any airflow detected.on the seat or seat back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On my Ram truck I can feel the cooling seats this I can’t so I wonder if I do have an issue. Thank you for giving me some insight.
Almost all "cooled" seats are just ventilated. I can't even think of any that are actually cooled, and the Ram is no exception. Reason being if they hook it up to the air conditioner piping then when you apply heat it would blow heat on you too. Generally speaking they all consist of a fan underneath the seat that pressurizes a perforated air bladder that inflates from under the seat and inflates a bag in the seat and/or seatback.

Aside from body types and clothing making a difference, with heavier passengers and those with tight fitting clothing not feeling the effect as well (heavier and tighter fitting clothing will compress and clog the air bladder you're sitting/leaning on), not all vehicles have the same strength fan. Take like the fan on your laptop and compare that to say the fan on a big data center server, the latter being super loud and probably 50x the hourly flow rate.

The ones on the Ram for example are quite powerful and large, but other manufacturers may put small and/or weaker fans just so they can check the box "ventilated seats" as an option, even though the result is not class leading. Same thing with those AC power outlets for example, the Ram one in the bed may be 1000 watt or so, but then on a Hyundai Santa Cruz pickup its only 150 watt, mostly so they can tick the box "yeah we offer that too", lol!

Be nice if we had a consumer protection agency that required them to list specs like "ventilated seats 800CFM flow with 170lb passenger" or something like that, so we had a benchmark.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Almost all "cooled" seats are just ventilated. I can't even think of any that are actually cooled, and the Ram is no exception. Reason being if they hook it up to the air conditioner piping then when you apply heat it would blow heat on you too. Generally speaking they all consist of a fan underneath the seat that pressurizes a perforated air bladder that inflates from under the seat and inflates a bag in the seat and/or seatback.

Aside from body types and clothing making a difference, with heavier passengers and those with tight fitting clothing not feeling the effect as well (heavier and tighter fitting clothing will compress and clog the air bladder you're sitting/leaning on), not all vehicles have the same strength fan. Take like the fan on your laptop and compare that to say the fan on a big data center server, the latter being super loud and probably 50x the hourly flow rate.

The ones on the Ram for example are quite powerful and large, but other manufacturers may put small and/or weaker fans just so they can check the box "ventilated seats" as an option, even though the result is not class leading. Same thing with those AC power outlets for example, the Ram one in the bed may be 1000 watt or so, but then on a Hyundai Santa Cruz pickup its only 150 watt, mostly so they can tick the box "yeah we offer that too", lol!

Be nice if we had a consumer protection agency that required them to list specs like "ventilated seats 800CFM flow with 170lb passenger" or something like that, so we had a benchmark.
800 CFM?

·
Registered
2022 SEL 4motion - Platinum Grey
27 Posts
I had cooled seats in our Escalade and it felt like you peed your pants. Just weird. I like the ventilated seats much better. Notice a difference in the days I completely forget the crack the windows

1 - 20 of 20 Posts