Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Window

Hello fellow Taos owners! I am a brand spanking new owner of a 22 VW Taos SE FWD model, and she’s a beauty! Got all the extras I wanted (Sunroof, adaptive cruise control, lane assist etc.) for a great deal! However, I typically like upgrading my new vehicles in the performance department. I have looked everywhere online and can’t seem to find a performance cold air intake for the Taos! All I found was an air filter by K&N. Does anyone have any feedback or experience in getting a good cold air intake upgrade for the Taos? Or even any other performance upgrades that would grant more torque, HP and fuel efficiency to this wonderful SUV! Thank you all in advance, and I’m looking forward to being a member of this forum for anything and everything TAOS! 🤙🏼

·
Registered
540 Posts
Welcome to the site!

I don't know of any power upgrades currently available for the Taos. It's probably pretty low on any tuner's list of priorities. A cold air intake system would most likely yield very small increases in power or torque, at best. It may even make it worse. The stock engine control system is set up for the stock airbox, etc. and may not react well to changes in the air intake system.

Your best bet would be to wait for one of the respected tuners (APR or somebody else) to release a software tune for the 1.5. Since it's still fairly new it may be a while until they get around to it, but somebody will eventually.

In the meantime, I recommend you run it for a while as is. Get used to it, how it performs, what you might like to improve, and go from there. It's a good little engine in stock form, and the gas mileage is great! I have no complaints about the power (or lack thereof!) - that's what the GTI is for! :)

·
Registered
2022 Cornflower Blue SE DSG 4 Motion
244 Posts
the car is based around the T-Roc in many ways so technically this would work...

Intake

as for gains mehhhh the age old debate comes up. more in needs more out. So this will prob sound ok you not going gain anything.

Ive tunes, intakes and exhausts on all my other cars and yep they defiantly make a difference but you need all 3.

Don't bank on tuning companies doing things for this engine. Its probably not worth the R&D. It will come. but stick to the big names. Apr, Intergrated...and so on. Don't whatever you do put a Burger tuning box on as they are absolute junk. Piggy back is a silly idea and IMO shouldn't be used. Ive uninstalled so many over the years because of constant issues and terrible customer support.

·
Registered
33 Posts
While Im not sure Id go crazy w/ performance mods on a Taos, to each their own :) -- Look at a Carista / OBDEleven. You can change the Throttle response to Direct/Threshold vs. the OEM/stock setting of Gradual/Controlled over time. Helps the low-end-1st/2nd gear hesitation/lag significantly. Also you can turn on dynamic steering setting too, which (not as drastic as a difference) but Im told makes the car drive a bit better. There's other settings (car dings/alarms, settings, etc.) you can mess with too. Other than that the car is so new there's not many mods you can buy that would impact performance.

·
Registered
2022 Cornflower Blue SE DSG 4 Motion
244 Posts
How to you see them being a good idea on autos ? you never lift off the gas unless your coming to a stop really so a WHOOOOOOOOOOOOSH isn't really gonna happen

Not like banging through the gears on a manual...

·
Registered
2022 Taos SE 4-Motion
23 Posts
I can't see any gain by using this. The intake isn't strong/big enough (volume) to offset the pressure loss, and would most likely result in massive turbo lag. It would also probably foul the plugs from running too rich and confuse the MAF. A superior diverter valve would be a better option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts