Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these for just over $40 on Amazon. I've purchased them for 3 different vehicles over the past 5 years and never had a problem with them. They are not as nice as the factory bars, but they're not $250 either. I thought this might help other cheapskates like myself.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2022 VW Taos S
62 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I think those are wide enough for our Scanoe. We had Amazon bars on the roof of our Dodge Journey that were 54" wide and were lookin for something similar for the Taos.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If its just decorative, then its fine. But for actually carrying/capacity. What would that be for that set?

You may want to reconsider why the manufacturing process is $40 for one set and $250 for the other.

·
Registered
2022 VW Taos S
62 Posts
If its just decorative, then its fine. But for actually carrying/capacity. What would that be for that set?

You may want to reconsider why the manufacturing process is $40 for one set and $250 for the other.
rated for 150 lbs which is about the same as the set I have on my Journey. The Scanoe has been on them many a time including some interstate travel. The trick is in the tying down. Never tie down to only the clamp on bars. Make sure the straps are wrapped on the rails. With a Scanoe or a Kayak, lift is usually a bigger issue than bending the bars.

·
Registered
2022 Taos Highline Pure Grey
133 Posts
thanks for the tip. Always amazed at the great deals you get in the US. Just looked up the same rails on Amazon Canada $105. Equals about $82 US. Still a good price.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Not decorative. I carried a Fully rigged Hobie Pro Angler 14 filled with gear on mine in the past, and when I sold my Jeep I sold the bars to my friend and he carried 2 Hobie kayaks on the roof of his Subaru, and he carried a fully loaded roof top carry box made by Yakima from Virginia to Florida and back with no issues. The bars are rated to carry 150lbs and I've personally seen them do it without breaking a sweat. Plus they have over 13 thousand positive reviews on Amazon as well. And in reality, it's not really a good idea to carry more than 150 lbs on the roof anyways as it will negatively effect the handling of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2022 VW Taos S
62 Posts
Not decorative. I carried a Fully rigged Hobie Pro Angler 14 filled with gear on mine in the past, and when I sold my Jeep I sold the bars to my friend and he carried 2 Hobie kayaks on the roof of his Subaru, and he carried a fully loaded roof top carry box made by Yakima from Virginia to Florida and back with no issues. The bars are rated to carry 150lbs and I've personally seen them do it without breaking a sweat. Plus they have over 13 thousand positive reviews on Amazon as well. And in reality, it's not really a good idea to carry more than 150 lbs on the roof anyways as it will negatively effect the handling of the vehicle.
How is the wind noise with those bars? I hope its not nightmarish.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I remember them making noise on my Jeeps, but it doesnt seem as bad on my Taos. Maybe they're at a different angle. I'll turn the radio down tomorrow and listen and see, I really didnt notice them today but wasnt paying attention really.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I rolled the windows down today with the radio off. They do make noise but it sounds like wind noise the same as the rest of the car, or like is sounded before just a little bit louder. Nothing annoying, or any weird frequencies or whistles etc. I don't know what you consider nitmarish... unless you where making a pun based on my license plate?

·
Registered
2022 VW Taos S
62 Posts
I rolled the windows down today with the radio off. They do make noise but it sounds like wind noise the same as the rest of the car, or like is sounded before just a little bit louder. Nothing annoying, or any weird frequencies or whistles etc. I don't know what you consider nitmarish... unless you where making a pun based on my license plate?
A little wind noise is not bad. Yes it was a pun based on your license plate. A Taos is to cute to be a Nightmare...

·
Registered
396 Posts
I bought these for just over $40 on Amazon. I've purchased them for 3 different vehicles over the past 5 years and never had a problem with them. They are not as nice as the factory bars, but they're not $250 either. I thought this might help other cheapskates like myself.

View attachment 768
View attachment 767
That's a pretty good deal!

FYI, here are the recommended locations from the manual for the VW bars. Your rear one certainly is too far back.

Photograph Line Font Parallel Rectangle

Font Material property Parallel Paper Document

1 - 16 of 16 Posts