Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SE AWD Cornflower Blue
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking through the adjustments and I'm just wondering since everything there seems like it can be customized without Carista is there a hidden adjustment for throttle without a use of Carista in Taos?
Can the dealer just set it up if we ask them to?

·
Registered
2022 Taos SE 4-Motion
46 Posts
No. I'm not aware of anyway to change the throttle without the Carista. There's alot of features you can do with it. I did the throttle, and also got rid of the door chime with the ignition on (when the door is open). Also, it will take a tank or two of gas for it to fully adapt.

·
Registered
2022 SE AWD Cornflower Blue
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No. I'm not aware of anyway to change the throttle without the Carista. There's alot of features you can do with it. I did the throttle, and also got rid of the door chime with the ignition on (when the door is open). Also, it will take a tank or two of gas for it to fully adapt.
I guess I'm just wondering if ECS Sport is it?

·
Registered
2022 Taos SE 4-Motion
46 Posts
Not hard to find out. You can scan it with the car running. I guess I could revert back to 'controlled by time' and start the Toas. Then put all the settings in sport including the esc. Then scan it. I'll let you know here shortly.

·
Registered
2022 Taos SEL AWD
65 Posts
Not hard to find out. You can scan it with the car running. I guess I could revert back to 'controlled by time' and start the Toas. Then put all the settings in sport including the esc. Then scan it. I'll let you know here shortly.
I would like to know also.
If it’s the same as ECS sport is it just bringing up the RPMs and so reducing MPG?
If it’s not the same, I’m curious what exactly direct, controlled by threshold does.
Does it just engage the throttle earlier instead of lagging?
Also does the change impact fuel economy?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would like to know also.
If it’s the same as ECS sport is it just bringing up the RPMs and so reducing MPG?
If it’s not the same, I’m curious what exactly direct, controlled by threshold does.
Does it just engage the throttle earlier instead of lagging?
Also does the change impact fuel economy?
Definitely not the same as sport mode. It does nothing for me. YMMV.
I tried setting it to direct a long time ago and only recently noticed I had never set it back. The drive modes behave perfectly normally and there is a noticeable difference between Normal and Sport.
I keep meaning to set it back to see if I notice anything. I doubt I will.
As for fuel economy - the last longish trip I took I got 37.5mpg if I remember correctly - AWD.

·
Registered
2022 Taos SEL AWD
65 Posts
Definitely not the same as sport mode. It does nothing for me. YMMV.
I tried setting it to direct a long time ago and only recently noticed I had never set it back. The drive modes behave perfectly normally and there is a noticeable difference between Normal and Sport.
I keep meaning to set it back to see if I notice anything. I doubt I will.
As for fuel economy - the last longish trip I took I got 37.5mpg if I remember correctly - AWD.
Would you consider the Pedal Commander for throttle control? I hear mention of it being effective but it also seems a bit pricey.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Would you consider the Pedal Commander for throttle control? I hear mention of it being effective but it also seems a bit pricey.
Personally, no, for a few reasons...

The throttle hesitation does not bother me that much and happens rarely. I do find that I am usually expecting it when it does happen, as I have gotten familiar with the circumstances under which it might occur.

I really don't like adding third party hardware into factory engine control wiring, especially while under warranty. Yeah, easy to remove and all that, but still..

What does it really do? The only thing it can do (and I believe its function is described as such) is to remap the curve of pedal position to output signal. The hesitation/lag happens occasionally with the same pedal input as when it does not - and so would still be happening with a box, though it may hide it well.
I can see how the box may send a higher output signal for a given pedal position than stock - in fact I have seen mention of being unable to use some of the curves because they were simply too aggressive - but you can, in theory, make that adjustment with your foot instead.

It's a bit pricey.

I am too old to mess around under the dashboard unless I absolutely have to. Last time I did that I strained a rib muscle, and I was hurting for 2 weeks. :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Forgot one...

I would not be surprised at all if a future ECU update addressed the issue. I think someone on here (CorradoG60?) said the early MQB Tiguans suffered from the same thing, but it was gone in the later models. Don't remember if there was an update for the earlier ones though.

·
Registered
2022 Taos SE 4-Motion
46 Posts
I will patiently wait for an ECU Tuner to address the turbo lag, and issue with the throttle. I notice this car is like a horse. You need to "kick" it to get going. The car will not accelerate without downshifting first. So the "kick" is the increased throttle request. followed by an immediate downshift. This car needs way more throttle pressed to get it going. It will not pull itself out of a low rev, and accelerate like a 1.8T or 2.0T, probably due to severe turbo lag.. Hence the downshift.

·
Registered
2022 Taos SEL AWD
65 Posts
Personally, no, for a few reasons...

The throttle hesitation does not bother me that much and happens rarely. I do find that I am usually expecting it when it does happen, as I have gotten familiar with the circumstances under which it might occur.

I really don't like adding third party hardware into factory engine control wiring, especially while under warranty. Yeah, easy to remove and all that, but still..

What does it really do? The only thing it can do (and I believe its function is described as such) is to remap the curve of pedal position to output signal. The hesitation/lag happens occasionally with the same pedal input as when it does not - and so would still be happening with a box, though it may hide it well.
I can see how the box may send a higher output signal for a given pedal position than stock - in fact I have seen mention of being unable to use some of the curves because they were simply too aggressive - but you can, in theory, make that adjustment with your foot instead.

It's a bit pricey.

I am too old to mess around under the dashboard unless I absolutely have to. Last time I did that I strained a rib muscle, and I was hurting for 2 weeks. :)
Good points, thanks for sharing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts