Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can extend your lease month to month up to 6 months. You can even go past six months if you have a confirmed order for a VW, Audi or Porsche that hasn’t been delivered yet.
If you are due to return the car but the new car is only a week away, you can also simply not pay and keep your car past turn in and turn it in at the start of the new lease. You will pay a prorated lease charge based on number of days.
This was all explained to me by VW credit and is true in almost all states.
We extended both of our leases, one waiting for our new Tiguan and the other waiting for a Taos.
Good to know. This is my first (and probably last) lease, so I'm not sure how it all works. Glad I have a lot more leniency than I originally thought.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good to know. This is my first (and probably last) lease, so I'm not sure how it all works. Glad I have a lot more leniency than I originally thought.
You do need to call VW Credit to confirm that these options are available in your state and on your account. They are very nice and helpful when you call in my experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
VW Credit is an amazing lease company to work with. They will extend your lease for up to 6 months with no questions asked and will be very lenient to any situation. If you're going over miles, call them and they will usually sell you miles at $0.15 instead of $0.20 even on their $50k+ cars and if you recieve a bill with damages at the end, you can call them and ask them to lower it as a courtesy. They'll usually be happy to help.

Also residuals tend to be artifically low so your trade value is sometimes higher than the payoff which leaves you with some free $$$ at the end of the lease.

I HIGHLY recommend leasing through VW Credit (also Audi Financial Services.. same bank)

·
Registered
19 Posts
VW Credit is an amazing lease company to work with. They will extend your lease for up to 6 months with no questions asked and will be very lenient to any situation. If you're going over miles, call them and they will usually sell you miles at $0.15 instead of $0.20 even on their $50k+ cars and if you recieve a bill with damages at the end, you can call them and ask them to lower it as a courtesy. They'll usually be happy to help.

Also residuals tend to be artifically low so your trade value is sometimes higher than the payoff which leaves you with some free $$$ at the end of the lease.

I HIGHLY recommend leasing through VW Credit (also Audi Financial Services.. same bank)
Good to know. This is my first lease rodeo. I've always purchased/financed in the past. How does that delta between the residual and trade in value work? I'm way under miles and the car is mostly immaculate, which I assume factors into the trade in value? If I'm not buying the car out, can I leverage that "extra" delta money somehow?

·
Registered
56 Posts

One important note about trading a VW lease.

The buyout is not the same for all situations. VW switched to a market rate buyout for third party transactions, so if VW could get more at auction, the buyout will be the AUCTION price if you trade the car into a CarMax or a non-VW dealer.
If you trade it in to a VW/Audi/Porsche dealer, then VW credit will extend the buyout price to them if you are buying another VW group car.
If you do a private sale, you also get the buyout they quote.
This was a recent change VW Credit made. It kind of stinks because they are underestimating the residual and them pocketing the difference unless you buy another VW product.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good to know. This is my first lease rodeo. I've always purchased/financed in the past. How does that delta between the residual and trade in value work? I'm way under miles and the car is mostly immaculate, which I assume factors into the trade in value? If I'm not buying the car out, can I leverage that "extra" delta money somehow?
Look up KBB trade in value. Be honest about condition. Be honest about desirability of your vehicle.

Then have a firm number in mind for what the trade should be worth. If it is more than your buyout, you can use it toward the new car.

Befirm about what the sales price of the new car should be, based on kbb, truecar, etc. Look at edmunds lease forum for the car you want to see lease numbers for your region, and you can also ask about APR and cash numbers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@utsava If you sell your car to a VW/Audi dealership, they can use your residual value + remaining dues as your payoff. I would get an offer from CARMAX or Carvana and bring it to them and see if they can match it or come close.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
One important note about trading a VW lease.

The buyout is not the same for all situations. VW switched to a market rate buyout for third party transactions, so if VW could get more at auction, the buyout will be the AUCTION price if you trade the car into a CarMax or a non-VW dealer.
If you trade it in to a VW/Audi/Porsche dealer, then VW credit will extend the buyout price to them if you are buying another VW group car.
If you do a private sale, you also get the buyout they quote.
This was a recent change VW Credit made. It kind of stinks because they are underestimating the residual and them pocketing the difference unless you buy another VW product.
"Auction value" is more like borderline retail + we're going to make sure this person buys another VW lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
@utsava If you sell your car to a VW/Audi dealership, they can use your residual value + remaining dues as your payoff. I would get an offer from CARMAX or Carvana and bring it to them and see if they can match it or come close.
According to VW Credit, CarMAX will get a different buyout price if your blue book is higher than your buyout. Since CarMax won’t give you more than auction price, there isn’t much point in bringing a leased VW to Carmax.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts