Volkswagen Taos Forum banner

Bad CV Axle, Wheel Bearing , software glitches and bad o2 Sensors already

14K views 56 replies 19 participants last post by  maycolmirandavazquez 
#1 ·
Well let me first start off to say i purchased a white SEL Taos with a panoramic sunroof and other small upgrades. Love the vehicle so much, better than my previous compass trailhawk fully loaded and renegade limited. drives nice get about 42mpg on the freeway averaging 37 mpg mixed where i live. in only city driving i get about 27 mpg in south texas. Sound system is nice once midsa are raised to +4 and everything else to 0. ambient light is red and it is classy to look at.

On to the problems
I have been having weird mib3 issues with carplay where it locks up and i have to reset the radio by holind down the power knob for about 10 seconds, then out of no where my car starts making a weird clicking sound when making right turns. Not full completely turned steering wheel turns, just about 90degree pull to the right on my steering wheel going about 25 mph and then it makes a consistent rhymical clacking/knocking sound from the drivers side front wheel area....sometimes more centered by drivers side nonetheless.
Take it to the shop where they say it is safe to drive....parts are on backorder since they are going to change my cv axle and wheel bearing. asked them to check the tie rods and sway bar.... they said they did but my iphone app "carnet" says it want even moved. Take car home. When driving my auto start stop feature deactivates my car, then it turns back on and all my lights on the dash are shooting errors. suddenly mycar starts bouncing. I then Turned it off and on and problems go away. Car dealership says it is the o2 sensors and caused some kind of misfire on cylinder 2 and 4 and guess what..... no parts. Car has about 2k miles on it. opened a care case but all they say is we are sorry and essentially deal with it but in a very nice way and that there is nothing they can do and it will get done when it gets done.....again but in a nice way. i ask them why they are still selling these cars if there are no parts....they can canbalize another one. Says they cant but bet they still will keep making these things leaving paying customers in limbo. They then put me in a loaner but not anywhere near as nice as what i have and it reeked of cigarettes. They did knowing if they dont get me a car and parts take more than 30 days to fix i could get a lemon case easily is what i am thinking. but they did not provide me a car of equal or better as a loaner. I know they are short on cars every where but seriously? not 1 spare part for vehicles they are making fresh off the factory lines? bet they have them but need them to make a care after all there is no money in warranty...just new sales right. Did not damage car in any way, i didnt hit a pot hole, take a curb, or get it. No sign of anything on the suspension.

This makes me wonder about the longevity of my car. First payments have gone through been waiting going on three weeks and no eta on when i will get the parts could be 6 months for all i know. This blows. this is a severe car problem not even 2 months into my purchase. Cant they just give me a new one at this point? What bothers me so much is they have the exact same car at my dealership....but this is now a Volkswagon issue not a dealership issue. What do you guys think? What are my options? what would you do?

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have an AWD? I hear there’s a recall for the car shutdown and stop order on sales of any new AWD models, so they have incentive to get this fixed ASAP.

That’s crazy about the o2 sensor causing a misfire in your cyclinders. Never heard of such a thing. Nor Heard of the cv axel issue.

I believe there is now a software upgrade for the CarPlay stuff you’re seeing and dealer can upgrade that.

You certainly seem to be experiencing more issues than the norm. When did all these problems start for you? For example did you have the car shutdown issue from the start?

#12 ·
I got my car last month. They are still selling them off the lot as of yesterday. I have a fwd too and was diagnosed with a bad o2 sensor. I also have a CarPlay issue I just deal with too lol. But the other issue is potentially dangerous and I know! (See my other posts). The mechanic confirmed that there are a few engine issues or issue to cause engine problems w the Taos - so much so I have to wait two months for them to even diagnose my car again and then order the part - total can take 4-6 months w out a car to fix it. They said they have a large drop off of the Taos to get fixed.

#3 ·
I have the FWD version. Never had the start/stop issue at all. It happened at an intersection, car turned back on and started flashing every light and my car started bouncing(probably related to misfire) I turned car off and back on and everything cleared up but drove it to the dealership where they said i needed to get 2 new o2 sensors. Previously had been taking it to the dealership about about the rattling noise. I thought it may be a sway bar that was loose or some kind of suspension nut as 2k miles for a cv axle to fail is something i have never ever heard of. They said they checked it after i told them but my car net app said my car hadnt been moved so either they got on the ground in the parking lot removed the shield and torqued everything or they lied. maybe i just got a dud cv axle. i will be pissed if they change everything and it turns out to make the same noise which means they didnt check the concerns of something being loose while i am paying for a car waiting on back order parts. symptoms do point though to a bad cv axle.

Thanks for the car play stuff! will request they update it.

#4 ·
Sorry to hear that. That sounds so frustrating.

Yeah there is an engine shutdown issue which sounded similar to your engine deactivating, but it seems the issue is more prevalent for AWD. It’s in the news and being discussed in the forums:

May not related to your FWD, but perhaps still helpful for you to be aware of.

#6 ·
Quite common for spare parts for new models to be harder to come by. Ask Tesla owners about that…

Not that it excuses it. Part of the reason they build up inventory of new models is to give distro centers time to build spares inventory and dealers time to train mechanics.

Other markets are getting the 1.4T that has been out for years. But US and Canada get the new, untested 1.5T.

#7 ·
Well let me first start off to say i purchased a white SEL Taos with a panoramic sunroof and other small upgrades. Love the vehicle so much, better than my previous compass trailhawk fully loaded and renegade limited. drives nice get about 42mpg on the freeway averaging 37 mpg mixed where i live. in only city driving i get about 27 mpg in south texas. Sound system is nice once midsa are raised to +4 and everything else to 0. ambient light is red and it is classy to look at.

On to the problems
I have been having weird mib3 issues with carplay where it locks up and i have to reset the radio by holind down the power knob for about 10 seconds, then out of no where my car starts making a weird clicking sound when making right turns. Not full completely turned steering wheel turns, just about 90degree pull to the right on my steering wheel going about 25 mph and then it makes a consistent rhymical clacking/knocking sound from the drivers side front wheel area....sometimes more centered by drivers side nonetheless.
Take it to the shop where they say it is safe to drive....parts are on backorder since they are going to change my cv axle and wheel bearing. asked them to check the tie rods and sway bar.... they said they did but my iphone app "carnet" says it want even moved. Take car home. When driving my auto start stop feature deactivates my car, then it turns back on and all my lights on the dash are shooting errors. suddenly mycar starts bouncing. I then Turned it off and on and problems go away. Car dealership says it is the o2 sensors and caused some kind of misfire on cylinder 2 and 4 and guess what..... no parts. Car has about 2k miles on it. opened a care case but all they say is we are sorry and essentially deal with it but in a very nice way and that there is nothing they can do and it will get done when it gets done.....again but in a nice way. i ask them why they are still selling these cars if there are no parts....they can canbalize another one. Says they cant but bet they still will keep making these things leaving paying customers in limbo. They then put me in a loaner but not anywhere near as nice as what i have and it reeked of cigarettes. They did knowing if they dont get me a car and parts take more than 30 days to fix i could get a lemon case easily is what i am thinking. but they did not provide me a car of equal or better as a loaner. I know they are short on cars every where but seriously? not 1 spare part for vehicles they are making fresh off the factory lines? bet they have them but need them to make a care after all there is no money in warranty...just new sales right. Did not damage car in any way, i didnt hit a pot hole, take a curb, or get it. No sign of anything on the suspension.

This makes me wonder about the longevity of my car. First payments have gone through been waiting going on three weeks and no eta on when i will get the parts could be 6 months for all i know. This blows. this is a severe car problem not even 2 months into my purchase. Cant they just give me a new one at this point? What bothers me so much is they have the exact same car at my dealership....but this is now a Volkswagon issue not a dealership issue. What do you guys think? What are my options? what would you do?

On to the problems

i just bought the sel taos 4 weeks ago. 1600 miles in it. Since day one when u press the acceleration from a stop, it won’t acknowledge u pressed it for up to 4 seconds then VERY slowly starts to creep like it wants to stall. Then suddenly jolts and goes. I can’t turn w oncoming traffic as I can get in an accident Bc it won’t start til up to 4 seconds after press on gas. I almost got rear ended many times already and get a ton of honks bc people think I’m just sitting at the green light on purpose! I was told by sales during test drive this is the way Volkswagen makes the cars so they are safer now. Wtf? No it’s not bc I can’t say how many times I almost got smacked into bc of it! When I turn or start from a stop I have to use my hazzard lights so I don’t get hit! then one month after this the engine light comes on steady. Gotauto parts supply to diagnose it - bad oxygen sensor. All Volkswagen dealers - two month wait JUST TO LOOK AT IT then you to another two months for parts and fix. X4 months of payments no car. To boot -NO CAR RENTAL IS ALLOWED- I have to pay for my own personal car rental for4 months min. I should be allowed to trade it in for a new one.It’s ONKY 4 weeks old! I paid too dollar for extended warranty etc to I can not have this happen. Payments w no car and being homeless bc I can’t afford my own rental car payments! I’ll lose my job! If I knew I traded in my engine problem Jeep for this which apparently is worse then a Jeep Patriot, I would have never even went near a Volkswagen dealer. Apparently the name doesn’t mean a damn thing.

#18 ·
Well they really still want to change the wheel bearing. No eta still on my car. They have the cv axle and o2 sensor. Doubt there is anything wrong with the bearing. Turns out the part is not even in existence yet. They are still selling these cars and making them and they can’t even give me 1 part! TheCARE department is a total joke. They can’t say anything except deal with it and shut up. (But in a nice way). Favorite part is we are doing everything we can to help. I am doubtful of that they can get a piece from the factory line. But nope. My dealership has been great though. Looks like I may be 6 months without my car minimum. Thoughts?

#29 ·
Well I finally got my Taos SEL Back! Seems to be running great. They did the fuel line test and everything came out great. they did forget to update the infotainment system. I strongly recommend it. Mine was glitchy and had to constatnly be reset.... after they updated it it is so much more responsive and smooth... but this is for the infotainment no the sel which is different from the s and se.

#31 ·
Hello, yes they did so happy i got it back.... driving real nice and so far no more problems. i dynamatted my doors wheel wells and truck area. This thing is so quiet now and the speakers sound much more clear and bass hits better. Ride is quieter too! Just happy to put this behind me and hopefully not worry anymore. Plan on keeping it for a long while.

#33 ·
What do the CV boots look like, are either torn? When the joint itself goes bad, typically there is clicking at acceleration when turning.
First look to me, it looks more like a fluid than grease. Bad seal at the transaxle?

#34 ·
Don't feel bad. Our has a ticking motor and throwing codes and the dealer has told us the motor has internal engine damage and now vw usa left us a message saying good news , the dealer is going to do a complete engine tear down and rebuild ! I'm calling the laywers tomorow ! There is now way the mechanics at the dealers are Qualified to do a job like that ! that's going to significantly reduce the value of the car ! Its against the law what they are trying to do !

#39 ·
I am not spreading misinformation ! I always tell the truth . The dealers mechanics are not qualified to rebuild an engine ! The dealers service manager and vw usa both agreed on that point. And It will show up on the history of the car thus reducing its value ! It was my opinion it was illegal for them to not give me a new car or a refund like they should have when I asked them ! Now they will though now that lemon law took over ! Just waiting on the refund now . In the mean time the dealer did replace the motor and it runs fine . Except that the engine light came on 30 miles later witch is to be expected on a big job like that. no biggie just antifreeze on a senser that they fixed the next day . Then the next day the audio stopped working on the infotainment system ! I think I just got a bad one really . I still really like volkswagens and still own a '16 gti that we love and to be honest we loved that taos also .Just wondering . Do you work for volkswagen ? Cause you kinda sound like you do .

#41 ·
"Not full completely turned steering wheel turns, just about 90degree pull to the right on my steering wheel going about 25 mph and then it makes a consistent rhymical clacking/knocking sound from the drivers side front wheel area....sometimes more centered by drivers side nonetheless."

I'm having the EXACT same problem! Have an appointment next week with the dealership. I don't even have 3,000 miles on my Taos. Urgh!

#44 ·
Ouch! My axle noise couldn't be replicated at the dealership. I have Lojack on the car so I could watch my car on the move, so I can say that they did drive it a bit to try and hear the noise. They told me not to worry about it and if it was the CV joint then it would get worse over time and to bring it back whenever I needed and they would "try again" to replicate the noise. Each time I drive, I think to myself, "is this the trip when the CV joint goes out?" I'm still under 2k on the car. As far as the infotainment system...I often get something like, "Sirius XM loading" FOREVER and I can't change the channel. But, after I stop somewhere and restart the car, the satellite suddenly loads and works. I dunno. I just expect something "new" to work and not have problems. Especially since this is my 13th VW.

#54 ·
CV joint grease is usually very dark grey (and very messy). And when a CV joint boot splits the grease is splattered all over the place.
That looks more like some excess rustproofing stuff has dripped onto the control arm. Not a big deal. They put on a ton of that stuff and in really hot weather some of the excess sometimes melts a bit.

#55 ·

On to the problems

They can do a lot of they want to. My mileage is great mid 40 mpg on eway . Combined mid 30 and 29 in city the only bummer is it's just not as agile as my Jetta was but that's a orange to apple

#56 ·
I had the same problem both the stopping and the noise on the front when turning between 12-20 mph. Have been looked at multiple times. The stop issue was resolved but he noise have not been found or replicated . Car play is totally unreliable as well and this week, I got a check your lights warning while I was driving. may the dealership again. I am ready to off los this car.

#57 ·
Well let me first start off to say i purchased a white SEL Taos with a panoramic sunroof and other small upgrades. Love the vehicle so much, better than my previous compass trailhawk fully loaded and renegade limited. drives nice get about 42mpg on the freeway averaging 37 mpg mixed where i live. in only city driving i get about 27 mpg in south texas. Sound system is nice once midsa are raised to +4 and everything else to 0. ambient light is red and it is classy to look at. On to the problems I have been having weird mib3 issues with carplay where it locks up and i have to reset the radio by holind down the power knob for about 10 seconds, then out of no where my car starts making a weird clicking sound when making right turns. Not full completely turned steering wheel turns, just about 90degree pull to the right on my steering wheel going about 25 mph and then it makes a consistent rhymical clacking/knocking sound from the drivers side front wheel area....sometimes more centered by drivers side nonetheless. Take it to the shop where they say it is safe to drive....parts are on backorder since they are going to change my cv axle and wheel bearing. asked them to check the tie rods and sway bar.... they said they did but my iphone app "carnet" says it want even moved. Take car home. When driving my auto start stop feature deactivates my car, then it turns back on and all my lights on the dash are shooting errors. suddenly mycar starts bouncing. I then Turned it off and on and problems go away. Car dealership says it is the o2 sensors and caused some kind of misfire on cylinder 2 and 4 and guess what..... no parts. Car has about 2k miles on it. opened a care case but all they say is we are sorry and essentially deal with it but in a very nice way and that there is nothing they can do and it will get done when it gets done.....again but in a nice way. i ask them why they are still selling these cars if there are no parts....they can canbalize another one. Says they cant but bet they still will keep making these things leaving paying customers in limbo. They then put me in a loaner but not anywhere near as nice as what i have and it reeked of cigarettes. They did knowing if they dont get me a car and parts take more than 30 days to fix i could get a lemon case easily is what i am thinking. but they did not provide me a car of equal or better as a loaner. I know they are short on cars every where but seriously? not 1 spare part for vehicles they are making fresh off the factory lines? bet they have them but need them to make a care after all there is no money in warranty...just new sales right. Did not damage car in any way, i didnt hit a pot hole, take a curb, or get it. No sign of anything on the suspension. This makes me wonder about the longevity of my car. First payments have gone through been waiting going on three weeks and no eta on when i will get the parts could be 6 months for all i know. This blows. this is a severe car problem not even 2 months into my purchase. Cant they just give me a new one at this point? What bothers me so much is they have the exact same car at my dealership....but this is now a Volkswagon issue not a dealership issue. What do you guys think? What are my options? what would you do?
I have a 2022 VW Taos and a month into my purchase I had to get the axle fixed 3 times! Then 2 months after that my car began making the same noise you described: consistent rhymical clacking/knocking sound from the drivers side front wheel area. I have videos of the noise and took my car to VW in 5 different occasions and they stated that there is nothing wrong with my car because THEY can’t duplicate the noise themselves. They told me to bring it back when the car has broken down so they can pin point where the problem is. Now it’s been a year and the noise has gotten worse whether I’m driving fast or slow. My dashboard lights came on too and they said it just needed an update.