Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Not full completely turned steering wheel turns, just about 90degree pull to the right on my steering wheel going about 25 mph and then it makes a consistent rhymical clacking/knocking sound from the drivers side front wheel area....sometimes more centered by drivers side nonetheless."

I'm having the EXACT same problem! Have an appointment next week with the dealership. I don't even have 3,000 miles on my Taos. Urgh!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reporting in with axle replacement on the driverside due to clicking noise on passengerside. Also replaced hard drive of infotainment system, oil level light randomly coming on, and something loose was fixed inside drivers door that was rattling. Have been to the dealer now six times at the 10k mark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reporting in with axle replacement on the driverside due to clicking noise on passengerside. Also replaced hard drive of infotainment system, oil level light randomly coming on, and something loose was fixed inside drivers door that was rattling. Have been to the dealer now six times at the 10k mark.
Ouch! My axle noise couldn't be replicated at the dealership. I have Lojack on the car so I could watch my car on the move, so I can say that they did drive it a bit to try and hear the noise. They told me not to worry about it and if it was the CV joint then it would get worse over time and to bring it back whenever I needed and they would "try again" to replicate the noise. Each time I drive, I think to myself, "is this the trip when the CV joint goes out?" I'm still under 2k on the car. As far as the infotainment system...I often get something like, "Sirius XM loading" FOREVER and I can't change the channel. But, after I stop somewhere and restart the car, the satellite suddenly loads and works. I dunno. I just expect something "new" to work and not have problems. Especially since this is my 13th VW.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ouch! My axle noise couldn't be replicated at the dealership. I have Lojack on the car so I could watch my car on the move, so I can say that they did drive it a bit to try and hear the noise. They told me not to worry about it and if it was the CV joint then it would get worse over time and to bring it back whenever I needed and they would "try again" to replicate the noise. Each time I drive, I think to myself, "is this the trip when the CV joint goes out?" I'm still under 2k on the car. As far as the infotainment system...I often get something like, "Sirius XM loading" FOREVER and I can't change the channel. But, after I stop somewhere and restart the car, the satellite suddenly loads and works. I dunno. I just expect something "new" to work and not have problems. Especially since this is my 13th VW.
Damn, I think I'm at 12 if I include the wife's ones!
I would tend to agree that the CV joint is unlikely to suddenly fail. It sounds more like a manufacturing issue (incorrect machining perhaps?) rather than something about to break.
I have had my fair share of CV joint noises over the decades. Some were just wear, and made a noise for a long time, while a couple were caused by a failure (crack) in the part that holds the ball bearings. Those made a lot of noise and definitely sounded urgent, though they still drove!

·
Registered
22 VW Taos SE FWD, Cornflower Blue
123 Posts
I would tend to agree that the CV joint is unlikely to suddenly fail. It sounds more like a manufacturing issue (incorrect machining perhaps?) rather than something about to break.
I have had my fair share of CV joint noises over the decades. Some were just wear, and made a noise for a long time, while a couple were caused by a failure (crack) in the part that holds the ball bearings. Those made a lot of noise and definitely sounded urgent, though they still drove!
On the other side I'm at 8500 miles and haven't been back to the dealer except to ask about the driver side window side face vent always being on (this is apparently intended). Not a single issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The sound is getting worse and has started now with heavy acceleration. It started just with turns, but now it's straight line and acceleration. I guess I have no option other than just keeping going until something breaks; I dunno. It's just irritating for a brand new vehicle. The Taos is my 13th VW and I never had any issues with the previous 12; other than things that happen as miles on the car go up. Next month will be one year of ownership of the Taos and still under 2k miles (I work from home and go out about 1 or 2 times per week for food!..well, and beer!)

·
Registered
383 Posts
The sound is getting worse and has started now with heavy acceleration. It started just with turns, but now it's straight line and acceleration. I guess I have no option other than just keeping going until something breaks; I dunno. It's just irritating for a brand new vehicle. The Taos is my 13th VW and I never had any issues with the previous 12; other than things that happen as miles on the car go up. Next month will be one year of ownership of the Taos and still under 2k miles (I work from home and go out about 1 or 2 times per week for food!..well, and beer!)
Haha. I'm in the same boat. Couple of beer runs grocery trips a week. To make things worse I've been running the GTI too.
Well, it's better than 15k / year like I used to do. A lot cheaper as well!

If it's getting noticeably louder and in a straight line, then it's probably time to take it back to the dealership. It should be easier to replicate there now.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts