Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
"Not full completely turned steering wheel turns, just about 90degree pull to the right on my steering wheel going about 25 mph and then it makes a consistent rhymical clacking/knocking sound from the drivers side front wheel area....sometimes more centered by drivers side nonetheless."

I'm having the EXACT same problem! Have an appointment next week with the dealership. I don't even have 3,000 miles on my Taos. Urgh!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reporting in with axle replacement on the driverside due to clicking noise on passengerside. Also replaced hard drive of infotainment system, oil level light randomly coming on, and something loose was fixed inside drivers door that was rattling. Have been to the dealer now six times at the 10k mark.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reporting in with axle replacement on the driverside due to clicking noise on passengerside. Also replaced hard drive of infotainment system, oil level light randomly coming on, and something loose was fixed inside drivers door that was rattling. Have been to the dealer now six times at the 10k mark.
Ouch! My axle noise couldn't be replicated at the dealership. I have Lojack on the car so I could watch my car on the move, so I can say that they did drive it a bit to try and hear the noise. They told me not to worry about it and if it was the CV joint then it would get worse over time and to bring it back whenever I needed and they would "try again" to replicate the noise. Each time I drive, I think to myself, "is this the trip when the CV joint goes out?" I'm still under 2k on the car. As far as the infotainment system...I often get something like, "Sirius XM loading" FOREVER and I can't change the channel. But, after I stop somewhere and restart the car, the satellite suddenly loads and works. I dunno. I just expect something "new" to work and not have problems. Especially since this is my 13th VW.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ouch! My axle noise couldn't be replicated at the dealership. I have Lojack on the car so I could watch my car on the move, so I can say that they did drive it a bit to try and hear the noise. They told me not to worry about it and if it was the CV joint then it would get worse over time and to bring it back whenever I needed and they would "try again" to replicate the noise. Each time I drive, I think to myself, "is this the trip when the CV joint goes out?" I'm still under 2k on the car. As far as the infotainment system...I often get something like, "Sirius XM loading" FOREVER and I can't change the channel. But, after I stop somewhere and restart the car, the satellite suddenly loads and works. I dunno. I just expect something "new" to work and not have problems. Especially since this is my 13th VW.
Damn, I think I'm at 12 if I include the wife's ones!
I would tend to agree that the CV joint is unlikely to suddenly fail. It sounds more like a manufacturing issue (incorrect machining perhaps?) rather than something about to break.
I have had my fair share of CV joint noises over the decades. Some were just wear, and made a noise for a long time, while a couple were caused by a failure (crack) in the part that holds the ball bearings. Those made a lot of noise and definitely sounded urgent, though they still drove!

·
Registered
22 VW Taos SE FWD, Cornflower Blue
178 Posts
I would tend to agree that the CV joint is unlikely to suddenly fail. It sounds more like a manufacturing issue (incorrect machining perhaps?) rather than something about to break.
I have had my fair share of CV joint noises over the decades. Some were just wear, and made a noise for a long time, while a couple were caused by a failure (crack) in the part that holds the ball bearings. Those made a lot of noise and definitely sounded urgent, though they still drove!
On the other side I'm at 8500 miles and haven't been back to the dealer except to ask about the driver side window side face vent always being on (this is apparently intended). Not a single issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The sound is getting worse and has started now with heavy acceleration. It started just with turns, but now it's straight line and acceleration. I guess I have no option other than just keeping going until something breaks; I dunno. It's just irritating for a brand new vehicle. The Taos is my 13th VW and I never had any issues with the previous 12; other than things that happen as miles on the car go up. Next month will be one year of ownership of the Taos and still under 2k miles (I work from home and go out about 1 or 2 times per week for food!..well, and beer!)

·
Registered
545 Posts
The sound is getting worse and has started now with heavy acceleration. It started just with turns, but now it's straight line and acceleration. I guess I have no option other than just keeping going until something breaks; I dunno. It's just irritating for a brand new vehicle. The Taos is my 13th VW and I never had any issues with the previous 12; other than things that happen as miles on the car go up. Next month will be one year of ownership of the Taos and still under 2k miles (I work from home and go out about 1 or 2 times per week for food!..well, and beer!)
Haha. I'm in the same boat. Couple of beer runs grocery trips a week. To make things worse I've been running the GTI too.
Well, it's better than 15k / year like I used to do. A lot cheaper as well!

If it's getting noticeably louder and in a straight line, then it's probably time to take it back to the dealership. It should be easier to replicate there now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Haha. I'm in the same boat. Couple of beer runs grocery trips a week. To make things worse I've been running the GTI too.
Well, it's better than 15k / year like I used to do. A lot cheaper as well!

If it's getting noticeably louder and in a straight line, then it's probably time to take it back to the dealership. It should be easier to replicate there now.
So, super fun today with me ole' Taos! I'm leaving my neighborhood and at about 25 mph the Taos starts to hesitate and then less than a second or two it just locks up and shuts down...with screeching tires and all! After 3 attempts to get it restarted with "auto stop/start error" flashing on the screen and every dang light that could possibly light up on the dash, it started after I disabled the auto stop/start. Normally I disable this "so called feature" every time I drive it, but it seems that this time I may have forgotten. Regardless, a freakin' brand new car should not just shut down while driving it. I mean, it just shut down....flung me forward to the point my seat belt engaged to hold me back. Isn't 13 an unlucky number? Maybe that's my problem...my 13th VW. Anyhoo, I'm opening a case with VW about it (and the clicking sound coming from the left front CV joint/axle) because if I die in this thing when it just shuts down or cause injury to another being, it's gonna be on VW. And that makes me sad for VW. I mean, my first VW was a Jetta MK1...that's how old I am and how many of them I've had! At this point I would rather have the Jetta MK1. That was a tough old car! Even my '91 Jetta GLI was a tough old car. Not this Taos!

·
Registered
545 Posts
So, super fun today with me ole' Taos! I'm leaving my neighborhood and at about 25 mph the Taos starts to hesitate and then less than a second or two it just locks up and shuts down...with screeching tires and all! After 3 attempts to get it restarted with "auto stop/start error" flashing on the screen and every dang light that could possibly light up on the dash, it started after I disabled the auto stop/start. Normally I disable this "so called feature" every time I drive it, but it seems that this time I may have forgotten. Regardless, a freakin' brand new car should not just shut down while driving it. I mean, it just shut down....flung me forward to the point my seat belt engaged to hold me back. Isn't 13 an unlucky number? Maybe that's my problem...my 13th VW. Anyhoo, I'm opening a case with VW about it (and the clicking sound coming from the left front CV joint/axle) because if I die in this thing when it just shuts down or cause injury to another being, it's gonna be on VW. And that makes me sad for VW. I mean, my first VW was a Jetta MK1...that's how old I am and how many of them I've had! At this point I would rather have the Jetta MK1. That was a tough old car! Even my '91 Jetta GLI was a tough old car. Not this Taos!
Yeah that sounds alarming...

I have you beat though - my first VW was a 71 Beetle. The Mk1 Golf was my 2nd car. :)

The GTI suddenly started making a clunking sound this week when taking off from a standstill while turning left (e.g. stop sign). Very repeatable. I drove in circles this morning trying to confirm if it was a CV joint (at 25k miles) and was convinced that's what it was. When I got home, I noticed the passenger side seatbelt was twisted and hadn't retracted all the way - causing the buckle to bounce off the side of the car when turning left! I had picked up the missus at the airport right before it started... That was an easy fix!

Yeah, the Mk1's were fun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Taos S FWD has started sputtering when accelerating. I just got it back from being serviced 2 weeks ago. Looking in the wheel well area I noticed some yellow grease splattered everywhere. I’m taking it in again Monday, but does this look like CV joint grease?
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
22 Taos SEL
5 Posts
I am not spreading misinformation ! I always tell the truth . The dealers mechanics are not qualified to rebuild an engine ! The dealers service manager and vw usa both agreed on that point. And It will show up on the history of the car thus reducing its value ! It was my opinion it was illegal for them to not give me a new car or a refund like they should have when I asked them ! Now they will though now that lemon law took over ! Just waiting on the refund now . In the mean time the dealer did replace the motor and it runs fine . Except that the engine light came on 30 miles later witch is to be expected on a big job like that. no biggie just antifreeze on a senser that they fixed the next day . Then the next day the audio stopped working on the infotainment system ! I think I just got a bad one really . I still really like volkswagens and still own a '16 gti that we love and to be honest we loved that taos also .Just wondering . Do you work for volkswagen ? Cause you kinda sound like you do .
What ever happened with your lemon law refund claim?

·
Registered
545 Posts
My Taos S FWD has started sputtering when accelerating. I just got it back from being serviced 2 weeks ago. Looking in the wheel well area I noticed some yellow grease splattered everywhere. I’m taking it in again Monday, but does this look like CV joint grease?
View attachment 1275
CV joint grease is usually very dark grey (and very messy). And when a CV joint boot splits the grease is splattered all over the place.
That looks more like some excess rustproofing stuff has dripped onto the control arm. Not a big deal. They put on a ton of that stuff and in really hot weather some of the excess sometimes melts a bit.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts