Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
The horn transplant is done.

When they say "easy", that's a relative term. :)

The main issue is space, or lack thereof. You can certainly pull the top of the grille back and up a long way to get the old horn out and the new horns in, but you will scrape your hands a bit!
It's a really, really tight fit. I had to loosen the horns on the bracket and turn them a bit, so the trumpets were pointing straight down when installed. There is a plastic bulge below there that the horns hit if they are at angle. I think it would even be possible to have the horn mounting holes a little higher up on the bracket to give a little more clearance.

The wiring harness is great. Well worth it. They give you a new mounting bolt, but I re-used the original since the Torx head is fairly easy to get to through the grill. I think they give you a new one in case you drop the original and lose it!

It's a bit of a pain, but it is done. The results? The horn sounds great! 400Hz and 500Hz Hellas give a nice sporty sound. My trick with baby powder to outline the original position of the 4 screws you have to remove worked like a charm and reassured me that everything was back in place correctly.

I would have taken pictures but honestly there is no room, so I was just glad to get them finally bolted up. I took it out for a quick spin to make sure the adaptive cruise was happy (it was), and bizarrely saw not one, but two Taoses in a 15 minute drive near my house! One black, one white!

Here's the clown horn. It even looks pathetic...
Sports equipment Output device Table Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
36 Posts
The horn transplant is done.

When they say "easy", that's a relative term. :)

The main issue is space, or lack thereof. You can certainly pull the top of the grille back and up a long way to get the old horn out and the new horns in, but you will scrape your hands a bit!
It's a really, really tight fit. I had to loosen the horns on the bracket and turn them a bit, so the trumpets were pointing straight down when installed. There is a plastic bulge below there that the horns hit if they are at angle. I think it would even be possible to have the horn mounting holes a little higher up on the bracket to give a little more clearance.

The wiring harness is great. Well worth it. They give you a new mounting bolt, but I re-used the original since the Torx head is fairly easy to get to through the grill. I think they give you a new one in case you drop the original and lose it!

It's a bit of a pain, but it is done. The results? The horn sounds great! 400Hz and 500Hz Hellas give a nice sporty sound. My trick with baby powder to outline the original position of the 4 screws you have to remove worked like a charm and reassured me that everything was back in place correctly.

I would have taken pictures but honestly there is no room, so I was just glad to get them finally bolted up. I took it out for a quick spin to make sure the adaptive cruise was happy (it was), and bizarrely saw not one, but two Taoses in a 15 minute drive near my house! One black, one white!

Here's the clown horn. It even looks pathetic...
View attachment 1035
meeeep

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed mine and it was awkward to say the least. Couldn't get to the screw through the grill because it was at a bad angle. Fortunately for me the screw was fairly loose and I was able to remove it by hand and reinstalled it by hand. Took about 15 minutes but I felt I would damage the grill the whole time trying to fit my hands behind there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Saw B2BFAB is coming out with a few new items for the Taos and had to take a closer look. For all of those who complain about the weak horn, myself included, there will be a plug-n-play solution in the near future.

B2BFAB Dual Horn Kit

View attachment 961
I bought this kit on June 8th received it on June 25th and Installed it in under 15 minutes. Very easy. You will need a 10mm box end, a 25 Torx and a 30 torx. A huge improvement of the single tiny horn that was in mine.

·
Registered
2022 VW Taos SEL
8 Posts
My kit shipped the same day I placed the order and arrived a few days ago.

Installation was easy. I reused the original T-30 torx screw to mount the bracket, rather than the included hex bolt, as the OEM screw was clearly higher quality.

The driver's side horn needed to be loosened from the bracket and re-clocked slightly to fit in the space. CRVW mentioned this in an earlier post and that probably saved me at least 5 minutes. Thanks for that!

Access was indeed tight, but you need to trust that the grill won't crack when pulled a little bit further out. A flashlight and telescoping magnetic retrieval tool is good to have if the mounting screw or T-30 socket drops out of sight.

The volume and tone is night and day different. As I mentioned in my review on their website, the next person I warn will be checking their mirrors for a Ford F350 Super Duty rather than a Vespa scooter.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts