Volkswagen Taos Forum banner

Anyone come from a first generation Tiguan?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  apiegare 
#1 ·
I currently own a 2013 Tiguan 4Motion and looking at potentially buying a Taos 4Motion. I've test drove a few and overall like the style, handling, comfort, size etc. It almost feels like a 2nd generation Tiguan.

The only thing that has me concerned is the acceleration. I have yet to drive one on the highway. How is the 20 mph - 60 mph acceleration? Or 60 mph to 75 mph acceleration? Not looking for a fast car by any means, but just having the power needed to merge on the highway, or accelerate when needed.

#2 ·
It's not bad, but mind you, you can always change drive modes or just tap down on the shifter to send you into Sport mode for a while. I work at a VW dealer and the 13 Tiguan drove more as an SUV than a CUV/car like the Taos does.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I often use the sport mode in my VW and Audi, so very familiar with the ease of switching. Definitely makes a difference.

Interesting, I find the 13 Tig to handle really well (at least compared to various small C/SUVs I've driven as rentals that are much newer vehicles even).

The Taos seemed to handle much better than the 21 Tiguan. The lastest generation Tiguan has more of a SUV feel.

#6 ·
The Taos handles really, really well. It's no V6, but the acceleration is more than adequate for merging / passing. The only complaint I have that off-the-line from 0 the turbo has a notable delay. You have to learn a bit not to jam down the accelerator too hard from zero because it suddenly takes off like a rocket ship once the turbo spools up, which is a bit dicey when you're first getting used to it.

#5 ·
I currently own a 2013 Tiguan 4Motion and looking at potentially buying a Taos 4Motion. I've test drove a few and overall like the style, handling, comfort, size etc. It almost feels like a 2nd generation Tiguan.

The only thing that has me concerned is the acceleration. I have yet to drive one on the highway. How is the 20 mph - 60 mph acceleration? Or 60 mph to 75 mph acceleration? Not looking for a fast car by any means, but just having the power needed to merge on the highway, or accelerate when needed.
I had a 2011 Tiguan for about 6 years and enjoyed it lots. The Taos is not as quick, but it has plenty of power for acceleration and fast cruising. The up side with the Taos is better fuel economy and it runs on regular gas, and it's a bigger vehicle.

#7 ·
I had a 14 Tiguan that was recently destroyed by a distracted driver. Loved that car, never let me down once. I was going to keep it for at least another 100k miles. The Taos was the perfect replacement. Yes the engine is smaller and has a little less power, but the gas mileage is better and the difference is hardly noticeable. It takes regular gas and the AWD is superb. The DSG tranny is the cats pajamas. It compares in size to the gen1 Tiguans but rides better. Very happy with the Taos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.