Volkswagen Taos Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice, does that affect the drive experience at all?
Yeah, it actually rides a whole lot smoother. I noticed it almost right away leaving the tire shop. I think the bigger sidewalls have a lot to do with it. They rub on the inside of the wheel well when turning full lock though, otherwise I'd recommend it to everyone. Hopefully once I get my lift kit installed they won't rub anymore, but even with the rub I like how it rides much better now.

· Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, it actually rides a whole lot smoother. I noticed it almost right away leaving the tire shop. I think the bigger sidewalls have a lot to do with it. They rub on the inside of the wheel well when turning full lock though, otherwise I'd recommend it to everyone. Hopefully once I get my lift kit installed they won't rub anymore, but even with the rub I like how it rides much better now.
Interesting, would a lift help with the sidewalk? Thanks

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, would a lift help with the sidewalk? Thanks
A lift would help the rubbing with this size tire. But ultimately I think a 255/55 is slightly to wide. A 245/55 would most likely clear, or a 235/60r18 would prolly be perfect. Also the tire that I picked out has really aggressive shoulder lugs. The same size tire in a less aggressive shoulder lug pattern might fit without rubbing but I'm only guessing. Without putting the tire on your rim and your car, there's no way of really knowing for sure.

· Registered
16 Posts
A lift would help the rubbing with this size tire. But ultimately I think a 255/55 is slightly to wide. A 245/55 would most likely clear, or a 235/60r18 would prolly be perfect. Also the tire that I picked out has really aggressive shoulder lugs. The same size tire in a less aggressive shoulder lug pattern might fit without rubbing but I'm only guessing. Without putting the tire on your rim and your car, there's no way of really knowing for sure.
Thanks super helpful

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks great. Where does it rub? The bumper, the flare closest to your feet or on the inside? Is it something that a spacer will fix? Post some MPG results after a few tanks.
The back of the drivers side front rubs the inside of the wheel well fender liner enough that it melted a hole through. The Drivers side rear tire hits the bottom edge of the wheel opening and is scuffing up the plastic fender flare on the bottom slightly. The passenger front just barely kisses the inner fender liner behind the tire, and the passenger rear is the same as the drivers rear. It's perfectly driveable as is, just annoying. It prolly wouldn't be smart to try and go off road like it is now though. Hopefully my lift kit gets off back order sooner than later...

And no, spacers didn't help. I think it actually rubbed less before we installed the spacers.

· Registered
2022 Taos Trendline
49 Posts
The back of the drivers side front rubs the inside of the wheel well fender liner enough that it melted a hole through. The Drivers side rear tire hits the bottom edge of the wheel opening and is scuffing up the plastic fender flare on the bottom slightly. The passenger front just barely kisses the inner fender liner behind the tire, and the passenger rear is the same as the drivers rear. It's perfectly driveable as is, just annoying. It prolly wouldn't be smart to try and go off road like it is now though. Hopefully my lift kit gets off back order sooner than later...

And no, spacers didn't help. I think it actually rubbed less before we installed the spacers.
To be honest I was expecting a response along those lines lol. I'm actually surprised that you aren't rubbing the actual strut on the front with the amount of pinch the tires have on your factory wheels. I've always loved the look of those tires even if it is not my personal style. Please keep the forum updated with your progress as this type of pioneering information is invaluable to future owners. Well at least the ones who know how to use the search function in the future lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.